Huskies earn weekend sweep, defeat Wisconsin 4-0
SEATTLE - Washington men’s tennis earned its third win of the season Sunday morning over Wisconsin en route to a weekend sweep.
“Sometimes you worry how your guys are going to come out in the morning, but our guys came out pretty solid and stayed solid the whole way through. I was very happy and impressed,” expressed Head Coach Matt Anger.
The men opened the morning winning the doubles point against the Badgers. Mitch Stewart and Joao Barra, who made his doubles debut, defeated Wisconsin’s Lamar Remy and Darius Mackenzie 6-3.
“[Barra] and Mitch game-wise, there is a good chemistry there and I think they can work well together,” added Anger. “We won 6-4, but at 2-1 we kind of played a shaky game and let Wisconsin back in. However, from that point on they were very solid and had a lot of good points.”
To secure the doubles point, Emmett Egger and Jeff Hawke took their match in 6-2.
The Huskies returned for singles just as strong, winning five of the six first sets. To earn Washington’s second point, freshman Mitch Stewart took down Wisconsin’s Alex Kokorev 6-0, 6-2 at the number one spot. Shortly after, on court three, freshman Jake Douglas defeated Lamar Remy 6-1, 6-3 to move to 7-0 on the season in singles action. Gal Hakak scored Washington’s fourth and final point after going 6-0, 6-2 over Joe Dodridge of Wisconsin.
“These were obviously much tougher matches, so it was great to experience for the guys, especially the freshman as they get going. Mitch and Jake were able to get wins today. Joao wasn’t able to finish, but he’s been in the fire now and knows what a tough matches are like so he’ll be ready to go,” said Coach Anger.
The Huskies return to the Nordstrom Tennis Center this Thursday, Jan. 29th when they face Hawai’i at 3:00 p.m.
UW 4, Wisconsin 0
Nordstrom Tennis Center
Doubles (Order of Finish: 3, 1)
1. Emmett Egger/Jeff Hawke (UW) def. Johnnie Jalalov/Alex Kokorev (Wisconsin), 6-2
2. Viktor Farkas/Gal Hakak (UW) DNF Joe Dodridge/Xema Carranza (Wisconsin). 3-5 DNF
3. Joao Barra/Mitch Stewart (UW) def. Lamar Remy/Darius Mackenzie (Wisconsin), 6-3
Singles (Order of Finish: 1, 3, 4)
1. Mitch Stewart (UW) def. Alex Kokorev (Wisconsin), 6-0, 6-2
2. Emmett Egger (UW) vs. Johnnie Jalalor (Wisconsin), 4-6, 2-0 DNF
3. Jake Douglas (UW) def. Lamar Remy (Wisconsin), 6-1, 6-3
4. Gal Hakak (UW) def. Joe Dodridge (Wisconsin), 6-0, 6-2
5. Viktor Farkas (UW) vs. Darius Mackenzie (Wisconsin), 6-3, 3-2 DNF
6. Joao Barra (UW) vs. Michael Si (Wisconsin), 6-4, 0-1 DNF