No. 42 Dawgs Handle No. 66 Winthrop, 6-0, at ITA Kick-Off Weekend
CLEMSON, S.C. – The 42nd ranked Washington women’s tennis cruised to a 6-0 sweep over No. 66 Winthrop on Sunday closing out the squad’s trip to the ITA Kick-Off Weekend at the Clemson Indoor Tennis Center. The Huskies are now 3-2 on the season and head to Houston next to face the Cougars and the Auburn Tigers Feb. 7-8.
The Dawgs got the day started by taking the doubles point after a 6-2 victory by Angela Chen and Miki Kobayashi on court two. Winthrop had to forfeit on court three so the Huskies were able to win the point.
The Eagles also forfeited on court six to start singles action so Washington jumped out to a 2-0 lead. Senior Julija Lukac extended the Husky margin to 3-0 after she defeated Mariana Humberg 6-2, 6-4 at number four singles and Grace Ysidora made it 4-0 with a 6-3, 6-2 win on court two.
No. 90 Elianne Douglas-Miron faced a tough battle with Winthrop’s Alice Garcia at the top of the lineup. Douglas-Miron claimed the first set 6-3, but fell 4-6 in the second before winning the point in a super tiebreaker 14-12. Number three singles also went to a super tiebreak as Miki Kobayashi came out on top 6-2, 6-7 (9-11), 10-7 against Ekin Gunaysu to give Washington the 6-0 win.
The Huskies have a few weeks off before continuing play on Feb. 7-8 at Houston against the Cougars and the Auburn Tigers.
#42 Washington 6, #66 Winthrop 0
Clemson Indoor Tennis Center
ITA Kick-Off Challenge
Doubles Results (Order of Finish: 3, 2)
1. Elianne Douglas-Miron/Riko Shimizu vs. Alice Garcia/Tijana Uzelac (Winthrop), 4-3, DNF
2. Angela Chen/Miki Kobayashi def. Ekin Gunaysu/Mariana Humberg (Winthrop), 6-2
3. Julija Lukac/Grace Ysidora def. Winthrop (no players), by forfeit
Singles Results (Order of Finish: 6, 4, 2, 1, 3, 5)
1. #90 Elianne Douglas-Miron def. Alice Garcia (Winthrop), 6-3, 4-6, 14-12
2. Grace Ysidora def. Tijana Uzelac (Winthrop), 6-3, 6-2
3. Miki Kobayashi def. Ekin Gunaysu (Winthrop), 6-2, 6-7 (9-11), 10-7
4. Julija Lukac def. Mariana Humberg (Winthrop), 6-2, 6-4
5. Riko Shimizu def. Monica Aguado (Winthrop), 6-3, unfinished
6. Angela Chen def. Winthrop (no player), by forfeit