This week in Pac-12 softball
• Conference play begins this weekend in Pac-12 softball, and with six teams ranked nationally, half of this weekend’s three-game series are between two top-25 teams.
• League teams wrapped up non-conference schedules with a cumulative 179-53 record. That record included 15 wins over ranked opponents, including six victories over teams in the top 10 nationally.
• The Pac-12 has six teams in both polls for the fourth-straight week. Oregon stayed at No. 3 in the USA Softball poll and No. 2 in the NFCA poll, while UCLA jumped up to No. 10/13 and CALIFORNIA made the leap to No. 11/11. ARIZONA and WASHINGTON mirrored each other, with the Wildcats at No. 17/18 and the Huskies at No. 18/17. ARIZONA STATE is No. 22/22. The Pac-12 has had at least five teams ranked in both polls dating back 154 weeks to the first USA Softball poll in 2006.
• Four Pac-12 players were named to the Senior CLASS Award Top 30 Candidates list: Ally Carda of UCLA, Cheyenne Cardes of California, Amber Freeman of Arizona State and Stephany LaRosa of UCLA. The 30 candidates will be narrowed to 10 finalists later in the season, and those 10 names will be placed on the official ballot. Ballots will be distributed through a nationwide voting system to media, coaches and fans, who will select one candidate who best exemplifies excellence in the four Cs of community, classroom, character and competition.
• UCLA sophomore Delaney Spaulding was voted Pac-12 Softball Player of the Week after helping UCLA go 6-0 at the Stacy Winsberg Memorial Tournament. Fellow Bruin Ally Carda, the reigning Pac-12 Player of the Year, was voted Pitcher of the Week after throwing a no-hitter, her second of the season. Arizona State’s Breanna Macha was voted Freshman of the Week, going 2-1 on the weekend including two wins over top-15 opponents.
UPCOMING PAC-12 SOFTBALL SCHEDULE
Friday, Mar. 13
#17 Arizona at #11 California *, 3 p.m. PT
Oregon State at #3 Oregon *, 4 p.m. PT
#22 Arizona State at #18 Washington *, 5 p.m. PT
Utah at #10 UCLA *, 7 p.m. PT
Saturday, Mar. 14
#17 Arizona at #11 California *, 12 p.m. PT
Oregon State at #3 Oregon *, 2 p.m. PT
#22 Arizona State at #18 Washington *, 4 p.m. PT
Utah at #10 UCLA *, 4 p.m. PT
Sunday, Mar. 15
Oregon State at #3 Oregon *, 11 a.m. PT
#22 Arizona State at #18 Washington *, 11 a.m. PT
Utah at #10 UCLA *, 3 p.m. PT
#17 Arizona at #11 California *, 4 p.m. PT