USC wins 2015 Pac-12 Men's Tennis Championship
OJAI, Calif. - The Trojans exacted revenge tonight as second-seeded USC defeated STANFORD, 4-3, to win the 2015 Pac-12 Men’s Tennis Championship. It came right down to the wire as the Trojans came back from losing the doubles point and rallied to win four singles matches for the victory. USC, who split the regular-season championship with Stanford and lost the regular-season dual to the Cardinal, won its second tournament championship since the team format was established in 2012.
The night began with a dominant doubles victory for the Trojans on court No. 3, but Stanford rallied to win the doubles point with victories on courts No. 1 and 2. The duo of John Morrissey and Robert Stineman, ranked 13th nationally, upset the No. 3-ranked Yannick Hanfmann and Roberto Quiroz in a dramatic 8-6 win on court No. 1. Tom Fawcett and Maciek Romanowicz, ranked No. 83 nationally, held off Eric Johnson and Max de Vroome to clinch the doubles point.
USC stormed out to take a 2-1 lead after two straight-set victories on courts No. 4 and 3, with Jonny Wang defeating Stanford’s Nolan Paige on court No. 4 and Roberto Quiroz defeating Stanford’s David Wilczynski on court No. 3. Stanford evened the match with a victory for No. 30 Fawcett over No. 11 Hanfmann on court No. 1, then pushed to a 3-2 lead with David Hsu’s victory over de Vroome on court No. 5. USC pulled it even thanks to Nick Crystal’s dramatic 7-6, 6-4 singles in on court No. 6. Johnson rallied to defeat Morrissey on court No. 2 to clinch the match for the Trojans.
No. 2 USC 4, No. 1 Stanford 3
1. John Morrissey/Robert Stineman (STAN) def. Yannick Hanfmann/Roberto Quiroz (USC), 8-6
2. Tom Fawcett/Maciek Romanowicz (STAN) def. Eric Johnson/Max de Vroome (USC), 8-5
3. Nick Crystal/Thibault Forget (USC) def. David Wilczynski/Nolan Paige (STAN), 8-2
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2
1. Tom Fawcett (STAN) def. Yannick Hanfmann (USC), 2-6, 6-1, 6-2
2. Eric Johnson (USC) def. John Morrissey (STAN), 6-4, 4-6, 6-2
3. Roberto Quiroz (USC) def. David Wilczynski (STAN), 6-4, 6-4
4. Jonny Wang (USC) def. Nolan Paige (STAN), 6-2, 6-2
5. David Hsu (STAN) def. Max de Vroome (USC), 7-5, 6-4
6. Nick Crystal (USC) def. Maciek Romanowicz (STAN), 7-6, 6-4
Order of Finish: 4, 3, 1, 5, 6, 2