Pac-12 men's soccer wraps up non-conference action
• The Conference went 7-2-1 last weekend. Pac-12 teams outscored its opponents 22-9 over the weekend, with six games featuring three or more goals for Conference teams. This week, league teams will play eight games with four on Pac-12 Networks to gear up for Conference play.
• With the results from the weekend, STANFORD leads the league with its No. 3 NSCAA ranking, along with WASHINGTON landing at No. 10, OREGON STATE coming in at No. 13 and CALIFORNIA ranking No. 20.
• The Conference has allowed 33 goals through four weeks of non-conference play, the fewest in the nation.
• COMEBACK KIDS: Early opponent goals did not phase Pac-12 teams last weekend. Despite facing early deficits, San Diego State, UCLA and Washington capped their games with a barrage of goals. The Aztecs overcame a 1-0 deficit notching three goals for a 3-1 result over UT Rio Grande Valley. UCLA was down 1-0 at half to Cal Poly and scored in the 50th, 53rd, 63rd and 73rd minute for a 4-1 win. Washington faced a 2-0 deficit at half and ended up scoring three times in the second period to beat Dartmouth, 3-2.
• PLAYER OF THE WEEK: CALIFORNIA's Jose Carrera-Garcia, a redshirt sophomore from Ontario, Calif., had a hand in five of Cal’s six goals in the Golden Bears' weekend sweep of Davidson (3-0) and San Francisco (3-1). The Golden Bears have now won five-straight matches and Carrera-Garcia has two goals and a Pac-12-leading six assists through six games this season, surpassing his scoring output from a year ago.
• No. 10 Washington is the Conferences' lone undefeated team. The Huskies went 1-0-1 this past weekend, coming from behind to beat Dartmouth, 3-2, and knotting with Harvard, 0-0.
• The Golden Bears rank second nationally in assists per game at 3.33. Of California's 14 goals to date, only one was unassisted.
• STANFORD captured its seventh-straight victory last weekend with a Jordan Morris golden goal in the 100th minute to beat Davidson 1-0.
• SAN DIEGO STATE and UCLA split its weekends. After topping UTRGV, the Aztecs fell, 3-2, to UNLV with an 89th minute penalty kick. UCLA beat Cal Poly in Westwood, but fell to UC Santa Barbara 4-2 in Monday's contest. Oregon State dropped its first match of the season, falling 1-0 to Portland.
• COMPLETE CAMPAIGN: Pac-12 students are known for their success on the field, but they are also impressive, complete people with outside interests, diverse backgrounds, extracurricular activities, interesting families, busy schedules, and full lives.
• #Complete12 – Oregon State's squad volunteered at the CARDV Run in Corvallis last Mothers' Day.
• The Pac-12 Network will broadcast 35 matches in 2015. UCLA alumnus and former MLS player Cobi Jones will continue to cover all the action on the Networks alongside analysts Christopher Sullivan and Kelly Gray. Rich Cellini and JB Long continue play-by-play duties, along with Miles, Jim Watson, Rich Burk and Troy Clardy.
|Monday, Sept. 21||TV||Time|
|RV UC Santa Barbara at UCLA||PAC12|
|Tuesday, Sept. 22|
|No. 13 OREGON STATE at Gonzaga|
|No. 10 WASHINGTON at Seattle U||7 p.m. PT|
|Friday, Sept. 25|
|VCU at UCLA||P12LA||4:30 p.m. PT|
|No. 20 CALIFORNIA at Santa Clara|
|Sunday, Sept. 27|
|Seattle U at No. 13 OREGON STATE||P12OR||11 a.m. PT|
|SAN DIEGO STATE at Pacific||1 p.m. PT|
|Portland at No. 10 WASHINGTON||Live Stream||3 p.m. PT|
|UC Irvine at UCLA||PAC12||7 p.m. PT|
CONFERENCE STANDINGS (Expanded standings)
|Teams||Points||Pac-12 Record||Overall Record|
|No. 3 Stanford||0||0-0||7-1-0|
|No. 20 California||0||0-0||5-1-0|
|No. 13 Oregon State||0||0-0||5-1-0|
|No. 10 Washington||0||0-0||4-0-2|
|San Diego State||0||0-0||4-1-2|
AROUND THE LEAGUE
• The Cardinal's JR F Jordan Morris and the Golden Bears SO MF Jose Carrera-Garcia were named to College Soccer News' Team of the Week.
• Additionally, Jordan Morris was also named to TopDrawerSoccer's Team of the Week.
• Stanford Sr. D Brandon Vincent was one of 30 NCAA men’s soccer student-athletes selected as a candidate for the 2015 Senior CLASS Award®, announced Sept. 10.
PAC-12 PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Sophomore midfielder Jose Carrera-Garcia, CALIFORNIA
Jeroen Meefout, SDSU; Jordan Morris, STAN; Seyi Adekoya, UCLA; Quentin Pearson, WASH
2015 PAC-12 MEN'S SOCCER PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
|Sept. 1||Mikhail Doholis, F, Oregon State|
|Sept. 8||Andrew Epstein, GK, Stanford|
|Sept. 15||Timmy Mueller, F, Oregon State|
|Sept. 22||Jose Carrera-Garcia, M, California|
MAC Hermann Trophy Watch List
Michael Amick, UCLA; Jordan Morris, Stanford; Brandon Vincent, Stanford
IN THE PRESEASON
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 3:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 5:00pm PTLive