2017 Pac-12 Swimming (W) & Diving (M/W) Championships: Stanford sweeps relays on Day 1 of Pac-12 Women's Swim and Men's and Women's Diving Championships
FEDERAL WAY, WASH. – Anchored by 2016 Olympic gold medalists Simone Maunel and Katie Ledecky, Stanford captured both the 200-medley relay and a NCAA record breaking 800-freestyle relay to take the lead at the 2017 Pac-12 Women’s Swimming and Men’s and Women’s Diving Championships. The team of Lia Neal, Katie Drabot, Ella Eastin, and Ledecky swam the fastest time in NCAA history in the 800-freestyle relay on Wednesday night.
200 medley relay:
• Stanford captured the first event of the night with Ally Howe, Kim Williams, Janet Hu and Olympic gold medalist Simone Maunel, touching with a 1:34.32
• California finished second in a 1:34.42 for the second fastest time in school history
• USC rounded out the podium with a school record-breaking 1:35.18
• Bradley Christiansen of Stanford captured his second Pac-12 championship in a row after taking the 1-meter crown with a 375.90.
• Youssel Selim ASU placed second (367.70) and Stanford’s Tarek Abdelghany (337.95) and Cameron Thatcher (336.80) took third and fourth respectively.
800 free relay:
• Anchored by world record holder Kaite Ledecky, Stanford finished with a 3:49.42 to break California’s American, NCAA, Pac-12 and Pac-12 Championship record of 6:50.18 set back in 2015.
• California touched second in 6:53.37. The team of Kathleen Baker, Katie McLaughlin, Abbey Weitzeil and Amy Bilquist finished with the second fastest time in the country.
• 2016 Pac-12 Champions USC finished third with a 6:54.24
• Four out of the six teams in the final heat featured 2016 Olympians (Arizona State’s Kat Simonovic represented Serbia, USC’s Louise Hansson represented Sweden and Stanford’s Lia Neal, Ledecky and California’s Kathleen Baker, Abbey Weitzeil represented Team USA)
1. Stanford - 128
2. California - 112
3. USC - 108
t4. Arizona -102
t4. UCLA - 102
6. ASU - 96
t7. WSU - 90
t7. Utah - 90
9. OSU - 84
- USC Women's Swimming & Diving
- UCLA Women's Swimming/Diving
- Arizona Women's Swimming & Diving
- Arizona State Women's Swimming & Diving
- Utah Women's Swimming & Diving
- Washington State Women's Swimming & Diving
- Oregon State Women's Swimming & Diving
- California Women's Swimming & Diving
- Stanford Women's Swimming & Diving
- Arizona State
- Oregon State
- Washington State
- Women's Swimming & Diving
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
2017 Pac-12 Swimming (W) & Diving (M/W) Championships: Katie Ledecky’s American Record highlights day two of Pac-12 women’s swimming and men’s and women’s diving championshipsFeb 23 '17
2017 Pac-12 Swimming (W) & Diving (M/W) Championships: American records continue to fall on day three of Pac-12 swimming and men’s and women’s diving championshipsFeb 24 '17
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive