California leads after day one of Pac-12 Championships
Federal Way, Wash. - California took the lead after the first day of competition at the Men's Pac-12 Swimming Championships, held at the Weyerhaeuser King County Aquatic Center in Federal Way, Wash. The Golden Bears won the 200-yard medley relay and 800-yard freestyle relay in Pac-12 Championship record times on Wednesday night.
200-yard Medley Relay
• California's quartet of senior Ryan Murphy, junior Connor Hoppe, junior Justin Lynch and freshman Pawel Sendyk earned a first-place finish with a time of 1:22.31.
• California's winning time of 1:22.21 is the new Pac-12 Championship record.
• Arizona earned a runner-up finish with a time of 1:23.34 while Stanford's time of 1:23.62 was good for third place. USC’s was fourth in 1:23.98 and Arizona State was fifth in 1:24.08. All five times met the NCAA ‘A’ Standard.
800-yard Freestyle Relay
• California's team of senior Long Gutierrez, sophomore Andrew Seliskar, freshman Michael Jensen and senior Ryan Murphy won in a time of 6:12.22.
• The Bears clocked their second Pac-12 Championship record of the night to win their second-straight 800-yard medley relay title.
• Stanford took second place with a time of 6:15.09, USCs time of 6:15.34 was good for third place, Arizona State took fourth place in 6:17.44, and Arizona was fifth in 6:19.21. All five times met the NCAA 'A' Standard.
Team Scores (INCLUDING DIVING)
1. Stanford - 220
2. USC - 185
3. Arizona State - 146
4. California - 117
5. Utah - 93
6. Arizona - 62
Competition resumes on Thursday at 11 a.m. PT with the preliminary rounds of the 500 freestyle, and 50 freestyle. The finals session for those events plus the 200 freestyle relay (timed final) will begin at 6 p.m. PT.