California leads after day one of the Pac-12 Women's Swimming & Diving/Men's Diving Championships
Federal Way, Wash. - California took the lead after the first day of competition at the Pac-12 Women’s Swimming and Diving and Men’s Diving Championships, held at the Weyerhaeuser King County Aquatic Center in Federal Way, Wash. The Golden Bears won the 200-yard medley relay and 800-yard freestyle relay, setting a Pac-12 Championship record time in the 200-yard medley relay.
200-yard Medley Relay
• California opened the 2018 Championships with a win. The quad of Kathleen Baker, Abbey Weitzeil, Noemie Thomas and Amy Bilquist clocked a time of 1:34.13 to set a new Pac-12 Championship record.
• The time was just shy of the NCAA and Pac-12 records set by Baker, Weitzeil, Thomas and Farida Osman at the 2017 NCAA Championships (1:34.10).
• Stanford took second in a time of 1:34.79 with the team of Ally Howe, Kim Williams, Janet Hu (the 2018 Pac-12 Scholar-Athlete of the Year), and Simone Manuel.
• USC came in third in 1:35.36 with Hannah Weiss, Riley Scott, Louise Hansson, and Marta Ciesla.
• All three times are good enough for an NCAA A qualifying time.
• Arizona State’s Youssef Selim took first in a score of 382.90. The sophomore beat second place by nearly 30 points.
• Second was USC’s Henry Fusaro in a score of 352.95.
• In third place was Utah’s Nathan Makarewicz (348.80).
• All three divers were well above the NCAA qualifying standard of 300 points.
800-yard Freestyle Relay
• California ended the day victorious in both relays. The Bears bested the Cardinal by less than a second in a time of 6:52.62. The team team consisted of Robin Neumann, Kathleen Baker, Katie McLaughlin and Amy Bilquist.
• The Stanford squad of Katie Drabot, Ella Eastin, Brooke Forde, and Katie Ledecky took second in a time of 6:53.86.
• Use again took third in a time of 6:56.85. Louis Hansson, Tatum Wade, Lexie Malazdrewicz and Riley Scott clocked a time fast enough for an NCAA A qualifying time.
Team Scores Through Event 2
1. California - 128
2. Stanford - 112
3. USC - 108
4. Arizona - 104
5. UCLA - 98
5. Arizona State - 98
7. Washington State - 92
8. Utah - 88
9. Oregon State - 42
Competition resumes on Thursday at 10:30 a.m. PT with the preliminary rounds of the 500-yard freestyle, 200-yard individual medley and 50-yard freestyle. The preliminary round of the men’s 3-meter starts at 12 p.m. PT and the prelims of the women’s 1-meter starts at 2:14 p.m. PT. The final for the women’s 1-meter starts at 4:45 p.m. PT. The finals session for the morning session events plus the 200-yard freestyle relay (timed final) will begin at 6 p.m. PT.
- California Women's Swimming & Diving
- Stanford Women's Swimming & Diving
- USC Women's Swimming & Diving
- Arizona Women's Swimming & Diving
- UCLA Women's Swimming/Diving
- Arizona State Women's Swimming & Diving
- Washington State Women's Swimming & Diving
- Utah Women's Swimming & Diving
- Oregon State Women's Swimming & Diving
- Pac-12 Swimming (W) & Diving (M/W) Championships
- Arizona State
- Oregon State
- Washington State
- Women's Swimming & Diving
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 11:00am PTLive
TODAY | 3:30pm PTLive