Pac-12 announces baseball players of the week
CALIFORNIA'S JONAH DAVIS NAMED PLAYER OF THE WEEK
WASHINGTONS JOE DEMERS TABBED PITCHER OF THE WEEK
SAN FRANCISCO - The Pac-12 Conference office announced today Jonah Davis of CALIFORNIA was named the Pac-12 Player of the Week and Joe DeMers of WASHINGTON was tabbed Pac-12 Pitcher of the Week for their performance during the week of Feb. 14-19.
Pac-12 Baseball Player of the Week: Jonah Davis, Jr., California (La Jolla, Calif.)
• Davis powered Cal to a four-game sweep over Cal State Bakersfield with a tremendous weekend at the plate. The Bears put on an offensive show scoring 56 runs, starting with a 17-6 victory Friday, followed by a double-header on Saturday, 5-3, 23-2, and a 13-2 victory on Saturday as the Bears improved to 5-2 on the season.
• Went 8-for-14 with one double, one triple, and two home runs for a .571 batting average. Davis also drew two walks and was hit twice, reaching base 12 times in 16 plate appearances. He scored five runs and 12 RBI, totaling 15 RBI this year, he is more than halfway to his career high of 23 from last season
• In the second game on Saturday, he recorded three hits, one home run and a weekend high five RBI. Davis is hitting .423 on the season as the team prepares for the Frisco Baseball Classic
• Earns first career Pac-12 Player of the Week honor and Cal’s 74th all-time weekly nod.
Pac-12 Baseball Pitcher of the Week: Joe DeMers, Jr., RHP, Washington (Martinez, Calif.)
• DeMers made Washington history in game one of a doubleheader on Saturday at Husky Ballpark, throwing the first ever perfect game in UW history and just the fifth by a Pac-12 pitcher. The Huskies finished 2-1 in their three-game series with UC Riverside.
• The junior pitched the first perfect game, ninth no-hitter in Washington history, and the fifth-ever perfect game in Pac-12 history in the team’s 8-0 win over UC Riverside. He needed just 84 pitches to set down 27-straight UC Riverside batters and tied a career-high with nine strikeouts.
• Reached a three-ball count just once and threw over 10 pitches in just three innings, with a high of 13. He was fresh heading into the ninth inning to finish out the game as he threw just 30 pitches in a four-inning span from the fourth to seventh.
• Collects first career Pac-12 Pitcher of the Week honor and marks Washington’s 104th all-time weekly nod.
PLAYER OF THE WEEK: Gage Canning, ASU; Trevor Larnach, OSU; Brandon Wulff, STAN; Michael Toglia, UCLA; Chase Bushor, USC; Nick Kahle, WASH
PITCHER OF THE WEEK: Boyd Vander Kooi, ASU; Matt Ladrech, CAL; Parker Kelly, ORE; Grant Gambrell, OSU; Jacob Palisch, STAN; Zach Pettway, UCLA; Kyle Hurt, USC
2018 PAC-12 PLAYER AND PITCHER OF THE WEEK
|Feb. 20||Trevor Larnach, OSU||Tristan Beck, Stan|
|Feb. 27||Jonah Davis, CAL||Joe DeMers, WASH|