Pac-12 announces baseball players of the week
ARIZONA STATE'S SPENCER TORKELSON NAMED PLAYER OF THE WEEK
STANFORD'S TRISTAN BECK TABBED PITCHER OF THE WEEK
SAN FRANCISCO - The Pac-12 Conference office announced today Spencer Torkelson of ARIZONA STATE was named the Pac-12 Player of the Week and Tristan Beck of STANFORD was tabbed Pac-12 Pitcher of the Week for his second weekly honor of the 2018 campaign.
Pac-12 Baseball Player of the Week: Spencer Torkelson, F, INF, Arizona State (Petaluma, Calif.)
• Torkelson led the Sun Devils last week as Arizona State finished the week 3-2 over with a series win over Oklahoma State (2-1) and a midweek split against Long Beach State.
• He finished the weekend with a 1.250 slugging percentage and also led the Sun Devils with a .500 batting average (8-of-16) and six runs scored. Torkelson recorded eight hits with six going for extra bases, in the five games.
• Hit three home runs over the week, bringing his season total to seven, which is tied for second nationally. Torkelson's seven homers are only four shy of Barry Bonds' ASU freshman school record of 11 set in 1983.
• The freshman from Petaluma, Calif., added three doubles and had a team-best seven RBIs with four walks. For the second time this season, Torkelson hit two homers in a game as he went deep twice against Long Beach State in the second game of the series.
• Earns first career Pac-12 Player of the Week honor and ASU’s 147th all-time weekly nod.
Pac-12 Baseball Pitcher of the Week: Tristan Beck, Jr., RHP, Stanford (Corona, Calif.)
• Beck collects his second Pitcher of the Week honor after only three weeks of competition. In his third start of the season, the righthander guided the Cardinal to a 7-0 victory over Michigan in the opener of a four-game series against the Wolverines.
• Pitched 7.0 innings and surrendered just two hits and one walk while striking out a season-high eight bat-ters. Beck, who missed the entire 2017 season with an injury, saw his earned-run average drop to 1.50 after the win.
• Collects second career Pac-12 Pitcher of the Week honor and marks Stanford’s 139 all-time weekly nod.
2018 PAC-12 PLAYER AND PITCHER OF THE WEEK
|Feb. 20||Trevor Larnach, OSU||Tristan Beck, Stan|
|Feb. 27||Jonah Davis, CAL||Joe DeMers, WASH|
|March 6||Spencer Torkelson, ASU||Tristan Beck, Stan|
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive