Pac-12 announces Baseball Players of the Week
ARIZONA STATE'S GAGE CANNING NAMED PLAYER OF THE WEEK
USC'S KYLE HURT TABBED PITCHER OF THE WEEK
SAN FRANCISCO - The Pac-12 Conference office announced today that Gage Canning of ARIZONA STATE was named Pac-12 baseball's Player of the Week and USC’s Kyle Hurt was tabbed Pac-12 Pitcher of the Week
Pac-12 Baseball Player of the Week: Gage Canning, Jr., OF, Arizona State (Ramona Calif.)
• Canning helped the Sun Devils to a 3-1 week which included opening Pac-12 play with a three-game sweep against Oregon (7-4, 18-4, 6-1).
• On the week, he went 10-for-17 from the plate (.588) with two home runs, two triples, eight runs scored, seven RBIs, a 1.235 slugging percentage and a .667 on-base percentage.
• Canning had a streak of eight consecutive hits against Oregon in the three-game series, which ties for the third-longest streak in ASU history and the longest since 1999. The junior was a perfect 5-for-5 in Saturday's dominant 18-4 victory, adding two home runs (one out of the park, one inside-the-park), five runs scored and four RBIs.
• Leads the Conference and the nation in total hits (42) and triples (8) while also topping the Pac-12 in batting average (.506), total bases (72) and tied for first in doubles (8).
• Earns second career Pac-12 Player of the Week honor and ASU’s 148th all-time weekly nod.
Pac-12 Baseball Pitcher of the Week: Kyle Hurt, Fr., RHP, USC (Rancho Santa Fe, Calif.)
• The true freshman led USC to its seventh no-hitter in program history on Thursday night in the Pac-12 opener defeat of Utah, 2-0.
• Hurt tossed 7.2 no-hit innings and totaled 117 pitches before handing the game to a pair of Trojan relievers as Austin Manning and Connor Lunn finished off the game. Hurt struck out seven batters and lowered his ERA to 2.38 while improving to 2-0 on the year.
• It was the first nine-inning no-hitter for USC since 1986 and the first of any variety since a five-inning no-hitter against Mississippi State in 2000.
• Collects first Pac-12 Pitcher of the Week honor and marks USC’s 114th all-time weekly nod.
PLAYER OF THE WEEK: Andrew Vaughn, CAL; Cadyn Grenier, OSU; Jeremy Ydens, UCLA; Blake Sabol, USC; Kaiser Weiss, WASH; Justin Harrer, WSU.
PITCHER OF THE WEEK: Eli Lingos, ASU; Jared Horn, CAL; Brandon Eisert, OSU; Holden Powell, UCLA; Stevie Emanuels, WASH.
2018 PAC-12 PLAYER AND PITCHER OF THE WEEK
|Feb. 20||Trevor Larnach, OSU||Tristan Beck, STAN|
|Feb. 27||Jonah Davis, CAL||Joe DeMers, WASH|
|March 6||Spencer Torkelson, ASU||Tristan Beck, STAN|
|March 12||Andrew Vaughn, CAL||Parker Kelly, ORE|
|March 19||Gage Canning, ASU||Kyle Hurt, USC|
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive