Pac-12 announces Baseball Players of the Week
UCLA’S CHASE STRUMPF NAMED PLAYER OF THE WEEK
WASHINGTON STATE’S SCOTTY SUNITSCH TABBED PITCHER OF THE WEEK
SAN FRANCISCO - The Pac-12 Conference office announced today that UCLA’S Chase Strumpf was named the Pac-12 Player of the Week and WASHINGTON STATE’s Scotty Sunitsch was tabbed Pac-12 Pitcher of the Week.
Pac-12 Baseball Player of the Week: Chase Strumpf, So., INF, UCLA (Dana Point, Calif.)
• Strumpf dominated at the plate last weekend to help No. 18 UCLA take the series against No. 2 Stanford, upsetting the Cardinal in two of three games, and pick up a 13-1 non-conference win against Loyola Marymount.
• Led the Bruins in batting going 8-of-12 (.667), with a 1.250 slugging percentage, .789 on-base percentage, eight RBIs and eight runs scored over the four contests. Recorded a pair of home runs, one each in the final two games against Stanford.
• Hit a two-run double in series opener against the Cardinal en route to an 8-4 victory and went 3-for-4 with three runs scored and four RBIs in Saturday’s high scoring 13-11 loss.
• Earns first Pac-12 Player of the Week honor and UCLA’s 121st all-time weekly nod.
Pac-12 Baseball Pitcher of the Week: Scotty Sunitsch, Sr., LHP, Washington State (Federal Way, Wash.)
• Sunitsch pitched Washington State’s 25th no-hitter in program history in the Cougars’ 7-0 win over Oregon in the series finale on Sunday.
• The senior struck out a career-high nine batters and walked two over nine innings for a total of 95 pitches. Sunitsch made his 78th career appearance in the historic outing, which ties for the third most in WSU history.
• Records WSU’s first solo nine-inning no-hitter since 1976 (Eric Wilkins against Oregon State) and only the fourth of its kind (1916, 1921) after he threw an inning in a combined no-hitter last season that broke a 35-year program drought.
• Collects first career Pac-12 Pitcher of the Week honor and the first Cougar to earn a Conference award this season. Marks Washington State’s 78th all-time weekly award.
PLAYER OF THE WEEK:Nick Quintana, ARIZ; Jonah Davis, CAL; Andrew Daschbach, STAN; Ben Ramirez, USC; Mason Cerrillo, WASH; Robert Teel, WSU; Dashawn Keirsey jr., UTAH.
PITCHER OF THE WEEK: Aaron Shortridge, CAL; Ryne Nelson, ORE; Bryce Fehmel, OSU; Jake Bird, UCLA; Solomon Bates, USC; Joe DeMers, WASH.
2018 PAC-12 PLAYER AND PITCHER OF THE WEEK
TOMORROW | 6:30pm PTLive