Pac-12 announces Baseball Players of the Week
UCLA'S JEREMY YDENS NAMED PLAYER OF THE WEEK
OREGON STATE'S LUKE HEIMLICH TABBED PITCHER OF THE WEEK
SAN FRANCISCO - The Pac-12 Conference office announced today that UCLA’s Jeremy Ydens was named the Pac-12 Player of the Week and OREGON STATE’s Luke Heimlich was tabbed Pac-12 Pitcher of the Week.
Pac-12 Baseball Player of the Week: Jeremy Ydens, So., OF, UCLA (Campbell, Calif.)
• Ydens dominated at the plate to help UCLA record a 4-0 week as the Bruins earned a non-conference win over CSUN (15-2) and swept Oregon (12-4, 15-1, 10-2) to move into a tie for third place in the Conference standings.
• The sophomore led the team in hits (11), RBIs (14), runs scored (9) and slugging (1.050) on the week while adding a .550 batting average and .524 on base percentage.
• Against the Ducks, he totaled 10 RBIs, eight runs and four extra-base hits, and also set career-highs with two home runs and five RBIs in Saturday’s victory.
• Drove in at least two runs in each game this week and is hitting .429 in Pac-12 play this season.
• Earns his first career Pac-12 Player of the Week honor and UCLA’s 63rd all-time player award.
Pac-12 Baseball Pitcher of the Week: Luke Heimlich, Sr., LHP, Oregon State (Puyallup, Wash.)
• Heimlich improved to 13-1 after helping No. 2 Oregon State shut out USC, 4-0, in the series opener as the Beavers went on to sweep all three games last week.
• Collected his second consecutive and fourth overall pitching award this season, and seventh in the past two years (2017: Feb. 21, April 24, May 8; 2018: March 26, April 16, May 14, May 21). His eight career Pac-12 Pitcher of the Week honors ties with fellow OSU alumnus Andrew Checketts (1996-98) for the third-most in Conference history.
• Held USC to only four hits in 8 1/3 innings and did not allow a baserunner until the sixth inning. Struck out his single-game high of 14 batters for the second consecutive week, improving to 129 strikeouts this year for the most of any Conference pitcher.
• Earned his nation-leading 13th win of the season and is now one win away from tying OSU’s single-season record.
• Collects his eighth career Pac-12 Pitcher of the Week award and Oregon State’s 83rd pitching nod.
PLAYER OF THE WEEK: Max Flower, CAL; Gabe Matthews, ORE; Steven Kwan, OSU; Stephen Dubb, USC; Blake Clanton, WSU.
PITCHER OF THE WEEK: Matt Ladrech, CAL; Matt Mercer, ORE; Solomon Bates, USC; Joe DeMers, WASH; Scotty Sunitsch, WSU.