Pac-12 September Golfers of the Month
SAN FRANCISCO - Collin Morikawa of California and Patty Tavatanakit of UCLA have been named the Pac-12 Men’s and Women’s Golfers of the Month for September the Pac-12 announced today.
Pac-12 Men’s Golfer of the Month: Collin Morikawa, California (Sr., La Canada Flintridge, Calif.)
• The second-ranked amateur in the world (Golfweek/AmateurGolf.com) opened the month of September by representing Team USA at the World Amateur Team Championships in Ireland, where he helped the Americans to a second-place finish in a 72-team field and was tied for eighth (72-66-66-71 - 275, -15) individually in a field of 215.
• After missing Cal's 2018-19 season opener to play in the event, the 2017-18 Golfweek Men's Golfer of the Year made his senior season debut with a second-place finish (67-66-72 - 205, -5) at the OFCC/Fighting Illini Invitational and helped the Golden Bears to a third-place finish after they had finished 11th at the Carpet Capital Collegiate without him. The OFCC/Fighting Illini Invitational field included six teams ranked in Golfweek’s Top 25.
• Morikawa wrapped up the month by teaming with Cal women's golfer Cindy Oh for a 5 & 4 victory over Isaiah Salinda and Andrea Lee of Stanford during a combined men's and women's match play victory over the Cardinal in the inaugural Big Match. Morikawa and Oh represented Cal in a Big Match playoff after the event was tied 2-2-2 following six matches and emerged victorious when Oh sank a birdie putt on the second playoff hole.
Also nominated: David Laskin, ARIZ; Chun An You, ASU; Jack Ireland, UCLA; Daniel O’Loughlin, COLO; Edwin Yi, ORE; Shawn Lu, OSU; Isaiah Salinda, STAN; Kyler Dunkle, UTAH; Henry Lee, WASH
Men’s Golfweek Rankings (Top 50): No. 3 USC, No. 13 Arizona State, No. 26 Stanford, No. 30 California, No. 39 Utah, No. 43 Washington, No. 46 Oregon
Pac-12 Women’s Golfer of the Month: Patty Tavatanakit, UCLA (So., Bangkok, Thailand)
• The world’s top amateur (Golfweek/AmateurGolf.com) blistered the Royal Golf Club during the final round at the ANNIKA Intercollegiate, shooting a 63 to set a new course record and tie UCLA's single-round mark.
• Starting her final round tied for ninth and seven shots back of the lead, she was even par through her first eight holes before making seven consecutive birdies (No. 9-15) and an eagle on the par-5 18th to win by one stroke (72-68-63 - 203, -13). It was Tavatanakit's fifth career win.
• Helped the Bruins to a team victory at the Golfweek Conference Challenge, nearly coming from behind again to win. She had a 6-under stretch in five holes (four birdies, one eagle) on the back nine, finishing two shots back (68-70-67 - 205, -11) of her teammate and winner Mariel Galdiano.
• In both tournaments, the Bruins set new school 54-hole records. Tavatanakit shot under par in five of six rounds in September.
Also nominated: Haley Moore, ARIZ; Olivia Mehaffey, ASU; Cindy Oh, CAL; Robyn Choi, COLO; Petra Salko, ORE; Ellie Slama, OSU; Alice Duan, WASH.
Women’s Golfweek Rankings (Top 50): No. 1 UCLA, No. 5 USC, No. 9 Arizona State, No. 23 Arizona, No. 27 Oregon State, No. 29 Stanford, 38 Washington, No. 46 Colorado
|September||Patty Tavatanakit, UCLA||Collin Morikawa, California|