Pac-12 October Golfers of the Month
SAN FRANCISCO –– The Pac-12 announced today that OREGON STATE’s Ellie Slama and USC’s Justin Suh have been named Pac-12 Women’s and Men’s Golfers of the Month for October.
Pac-12 Women’s Golfer of the Month: Ellie Slama, Oregon State (So., Salem, Ore.)
• Posted three top-three finishes in October, including a victory at the Trinity Forest Invitational
• She opened the month with a tie for second at the Edean Ihlanfeldt Invitational where she shot even-par 216 (70-71-75) to lead the Beavers to a second-place finish.
• She followed that with a tie for third with a 10-under 206 (67-68-71) in leading Oregon State to the team title at the Las Vegas Collegiate Showdown.
• Slama capped the month with her second career victory at the Trinity Forest Invitational where she posted a 2-under 214 (75-68-71). Her second-round score of 68 was the lowest round of the Invitational.
• Slama, who is 32nd in the Golfstat player rankings, was under par in seven of her nine rounds and had a scoring average of 70.78.
Also nominated: Yu-Sang Hou, ARIZ; Raquel Olmos, ASU; Cindy Oh, CAL; Kirsty Hodgkins, COLO; Mariel Galdiano, UCLA; Gabriela Ruffels, USC; Sarah Rhee, WASH.
Pac-12 Men’s Golfer of the Month: Justin Suh (Sr., San Jose, Calif.)
• Had a pair of top ten finishes, highlighted by medalist honors at the Golf Club of Georgia Collegiate Invitational.
• He opened the month with a 10th place finish at the Nike Golf Collegiate Invitational where he shot a 1-under 209 (70-69-70).
• Suh, currently ranked No. 4 by Golfstat, secured his seventh career title at the Golf Club of Georgia Collegiate Invitational where he fired a 14-under 202 (67-67-68).
Also nominated: Trevor Werbylo, ARIZ; Collin Morikawa, CAL; Daniel O’Loughlin, COLO; Ryan Gronlund, ORE; Bryan Wiyang Teoh, UCLA; Jan Schneider, WASH.
Pac-12 Women’s Golf Notes: The Pac-12 is heavily featured in the Golfstat player rankings as the Pac-12 boasts 10 individuals among the Top 25: 1) Patty Tavatanakit, UCLA; 6) Mariel Galdiano, UCLA; 7) Malia Nam, USC; 8) Jennifer Chang, USC; 9) Lilia Vu, UCLA; 11) Raquel Olmos, ASU; 14) Robyn Choi, COLO; 17) Olivia Mehaffey, ASU; 19) Gabriela Ruffels, USC; 25) Alyaa Abdulghany, USC … The latest Golfweek team rankings skew towards the Pac-12 with six women’s teams ranked among the Top 13: 1) USC; 3) Stanford, 5) UCLA, 9) Arizona State, 12) Washington, 13) Arizona … USC defeated Stanford for its third East Lake Cup in three tries. The Trojans have posted three tournament victories in the month of October.
Pac-12 Men’s Golf Notes: Suh tops the Golfstat rankings among Pac-12 players at No. 4, followed by California’s Collin Morikawa at No. 5, with Arizona State’s Chun An Yu at No. 12 and Kaito Onishi at No. 14 … Three Pac-12 teams grace the Golfweek Top 25 – No. 5 USC, No. 15 Arizona State and No. 25 California … USC overcame a two-stroke deficit heading into the final round of the Golf Club of Georgia Collegiate Invitational, but thanks to Suh’s 4-under 68 and teammate Kaito Onishi’s 3-under 69, the Trojans won their first tournament of the season by one stroke over a field that featured seven teams ranked in the Top 25.
|September||Patty Tavatanakit, UCLA||Collin Morikawa, California|
|October||Ellie Slama, Oregon State||Justin Suh, USC|