Washington's Nowell nabs Pac-12 Men's Basketball Player of the Week
Pac-12 Men's Basketball Player of the Week (11/19/18) - Jaylen Nowell, So., G, WASHINGTON
SAN FRANCISCO - WASHINGTON sophomore Jaylen Nowell collects the first Pac-12 Player of the Week award of his career as voted on by media who cover the league.
• Nowell averaged 25.0 points on 65 percent shooting (17-26), including 55 percent (6-11) behind the arc and 77 percent (10-13) at the foul line, along with 3.0 rebounds, 2.5 assists and 2.5 steals in the Huskies' 2-0 week.
• The guard opened the week with a game-high 18 points, three assists and three steals in a 66-63 home victory over San Diego. The Seattle native scored 12 of his 18 points in the second half, including a pair of free throws with 25 seconds left to give UW the decisive three-point advantage.
• Nowell then erupted for a career-high tying 32 points to lead all scorers in Washington's 82-68 victory over Santa Clara in the Vancouver Showcase opener on Sunday. He netted 21 of his 32 points in the first half to stake the Huskies to a 42-32 halftime lead and the Broncos got no closer the rest of the way.
• Nowell is the first Washington underclassman to garner the Conference's weekly award since Terrence Ross won the distinction during his sophomore campaign in 2011-12.
• Washington (3-1) continues play in the Vancouver Showcase on Tuesday and Wednesday with matchups against Texas A&M and Minnesota, respectively. The two meetings are among 11 scheduled for Pac-12 teams against major conference opponents this week, with the potential for additional such contests depending on tournament results.
ALSO NOMINATED: Brandon Randolph, ARIZONA; Paris Austin, CALIFORNIA; Tyler Bey, COLORADO; Bol Bol, OREGON; Stephen Thompson Jr., OREGON STATE; Moses Brown, UCLA.
2018-19 PAC-12 MEN'S BASKETBALL PLAYER OF THE WEEK
|Nov. 12||KZ Okpala, Stanford|
|Nov. 19||Jaylen Nowell, Washington|
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 5:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 7:00pm PTLive