League play begins for Pac-12 women’s basketball teams
League Play Begins This Week for Pac-12 Women’s Basketball Teams
• Pac-12 play begins this week when three rivalries kick off the schedule on Sunday on Pac-12 Network. Three non-conference games are still left to be played. Going into the week’s matchups, the Conference has posted a 106-26 record so far this season for an .806 winning percentage, the best win percentage of all conferences. It marks the sixth-consecutive year Pac-12 teams have won over 100 non-conference regular-season games.
• Five Pac-12 teams are ranked this week with OREGON back in the top five in both the Associated Press and USA Today/WBCA Coaches polls after three wins last week, including a marquee victory over 2018 NCAA runner-up Mississippi State. STANFORD moved up to No. 6/8 after its own signature win over Tennessee in Knoxville, Tenn., last week. OREGON STATE ranks No. 11 in both, followed by CALIFORNIA at No. 14/13 and ARIZONA STATE at No. 17/18.
• As of Dec. 23, three Pac-12 teams have RPI in the top 10, including Oregon (3), Stanford (4) and California (7). Eight Pac-12 teams have RPI in the top 55 and nine are in the top 100. As a conference, the Pac-12’s RPI is No. 2.
• Oregon’s Sabrina Ionescu broke the NCAA men’s and women’s triple-doubles record then added another when she posted back-to-back triple-doubles last week to get to 14 for her career. She was voted the Pac-12 Player of the Week, and the ESPNW and USBWA National Player of the Week.
• STANFORD’s Lacie Hull was voted the Pac-12 Freshman of the Week after helping the Cardinal to a key victory over the Lady Vols in Knoxville and a road win at Buffalo to get Stanford to a 9-1 start, its best start in five seasons.
• Cal’s Kristine Anigwe became the 11th player in Pac-12/10 history to record 2,000 points and 1,00 rebounds, and also is the 23rd all-time with 1,000 boards.
• UTAH is the only team in the Pac-12 to finish the non-conference season undefeated and is one of just nine teams remaining in NCAA Division I women’s basketball that has not lost a game (as of Dec. 26). The Utes open league play this week against COLORADO, which is 10-1 heading into conference action.
• As of Dec. 26, 34 teams in the country have double-digit wins and five are in the Pac-12, including ARIZONA (10 wins), who has already surpassed its win total from all of last season and USC, the second-straight year the Trojans enter league play with 10 wins.
CONFERENCE STANDINGS (Expanded Standings)
|Teams||Pac-12 Record||Overall Record|
|Friday, Dec. 28|
|Cal Poly at UCLA||5 p.m. PT|
|Saturday, Dec. 29|
|CSU Bakersfield at #11/11 OREGON STATE||1 p.m. PT|
|CSUN at #6/8 STANFORD||2 p.m. PT|
|Sunday, Dec. 30|
|Utah at Colorado||P12N||12 p.m. PT|
|Concordia at #5/5 Oregon||2 p.m. PT|
|Harvard at #14/13 CALIFORNIA||2 p.m. PT|
|UCLA at USC||P12N||2 p.m. PT|
|Washington State at Washington||P12W||2 p.m.PT|
|#17/18 Arizona State at Arizona||P12N||4 p.m. PT|
2018-19 PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
USBWA National Player of the Week
Nov. 12 - Kristine Anigwe, California
Dec. 18 - Alanna Smith, Stanford
Dec. 26 - Sabrina Ionescu, Oregon
ROAD TO TAMPA
Teams across the country will be focused on getting to Tampa this season, the site of the 2019 NCAA Women’s Final Four on April 5 and 7. To get to Tampe, Fla., teams will have to go through regional sites in Albany, N.Y., Chicago, Greensboro, N.C., and Portland, Ore., where the Oregon State Beavers are hosts Regional play takes place from March 29-April 1, with specific dates to be announced. The first and second round of the tournament will take place on 16 campus sites with the top-16 seeds hosting, March 22-25, 2019. The top 64 teams will learn their fates in the broadcast of the annual selection show on Monday, March 18, 2019.
- Arizona Women's Basketball
- Arizona State Women's Basketball
- California Women's Basketball
- Colorado Women's Basketball
- Oregon Women's Basketball
- Oregon State Women's Basketball
- Stanford Women's Basketball
- UCLA Women's Basketball
- USC Women's Basketball
- Utah Women's Basketball
- Washington Women's Basketball
- Washington State Women's Basketball
- Arizona State
- Oregon State
- Washington State
- Women's Basketball
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive