Pac-12 announces Women’s Basketball Players of the Week
PLAYER OF THE WEEK: Aari McDonald, So., G, Arizona (Fresno Calif.)
2 GP, 33.0 ppg, 8.0 rpg, 25-53 FG (.472), 5-18 3PT (.278), 11-14 FT, 10 stl
• First player in Arizona history to record back-to-back 30-point performances on the road in the Wildcats’ victory over Colorado (69-67) and loss at Utah (80-64).
• Ranks second in the nation with 25.4 points per game this season, averaging 33.3 points in the two matches last week.
• Shot 52.2 percent from the field against the Buffs, draining two from deep and had a career-high eight steals, which ties for the second-most by a Wildcat in school history.
• Followed up with 34 points against Utah, including 17 in the fourth quarter, to record the fourth-most points by an Arizona player all-time.
• Added 11 rebounds against the Utes for her second double-double of the season.
• Picks up her third weekly honor this season (Nov. 19, Dec. 3) for Arizona’s 44th all-time weekly honor, marking the first time the Wildcats recorded three awards since the 2003-04 season.
Also nominated: Kianna Ibis, ASU; Kristine Anigwe, CAL; Quinessa Caylao-Do, COLO; Satou Sabally, ORE; Destiny Slocum, OSU; Alanna Smith, STAN; Michaela Onyenwere, UCLA; Mariya Moore, USC; Kiana Moore, UTAH; Amber Melgoza, WASH.
FRESHMAN OF THE WEEK: Dru Gylten, Fr., G, Utah (Rapid City, S.D.)
2 GP, 8.5 ppg, 6-11 FG (.545), 4-7 FT (.571), 2.5 rpg, 6.0 apg, 2 stl
• Recorded first-career double-double with 10 points and 10 assists in Utah's 80-64 victory over Arizona.
• Tallied two steals and grabbed four rebounds against the Wildcats while shooting a career-high 66 percent from the floor.
• Leads all NCAA freshmen in assists per game (6.3) after posting her second double-digit assist performance the season.
• Scored seven points and added a rebound, two assists and a block against then-No. 22 Arizona State, knocking down a critical three-pointer against the Sun Devils, going 1-for-1 from beyond the arc.
• Collects second Pac-12 Freshman of the Week honor this season with the other coming on Dec. 10, joining teammates Dre’Una Edwards (Nov. 12, Nov. 19, Dec. 17) and Andrea Torres (Dec. 31) for the Utes’ sixth nod this season.
Also nominated: McKenzie Forbes, CAL; Peanut Tuitele, COLO; Jasmine Simmons, OSU; Lindsey Corsaro, UCLA; Lacie Hull, STAN.