Huskies seek history as Pac-12 Men's Basketball season hits midpoint this week
INSIDE PAC-12 MEN'S BASKETBALL PODCAST:
The Inside Pac-12 Men's Basketball Podcast provides a new level of detail and nuanced insight into all things Pac-12 hoops, deep-diving into current conference play, Pac-12 alumni in the NBA, professional potential of current Pac-12 student-athletes, and much more. All-time Pac-12 scoring leader Don MacLean offers a unique perspective on the collegiate and professional basketball landscapes, stories from his career, and projections on student-athletes around the conference.
#PAC12HOOPS STARTING FIVE:
3 - Three Pac-12 NLI signees were selected to participate in the 2019 McDonald’s All-America Game (March 27, Atlanta) - Josh Green & Nico Mannion, ARIZONA; Isaiah Mobley, USC - with potential for additional verbal commitments and undecided recruits. The spring NLI signing period begins April 17.
- The Conference record for McDonald’s All-Americans is five in 2006 and 2012.
6 - The fifth-longest series win streak in the Pac-12 will be on the line Thursday as ARIZONA visits ARIZONA STATE.
- 18 - ARIZONA vs. STANFORD (dating to 2009); 13 - ARIZONA vs. WASHINGTON STATE (2010); 10 - UTAH vs. WASHINGTON STATE (2014); 7 - USC vs. OREGON STATE (2016); 6 - ARIZONA vs. ARIZONA STATE (2016), ARIZONA vs. CALIFORNIA (2016) & CALIFORNIA vs. OREGON STATE (2016).
7-0 - WASHINGTON is the only remaining Pac-12 team to make it through the opening month of Conference play unscathed at 7-0:
- WASHINGTON is 7-0 for the first time since 1952-53 when it began PCC play 14-0 en route to a Final Four appearance.
The Huskies’ current nine-game win streak is tied as the fourth-longest in NCAA Division I and is the program’s longest since an 11-0 start in 2014-15.
9 - With two wins this week, WASHINGTON would become only the ninth team to reach 9-0 in the Conference’s 18-game format (dating to 1978-79).
- 1980 - Oregon State; 1981 - Oregon State; 1983 - UCLA; 1988 - Arizona; 1993 - Arizona; 1998 - Arizona; 2004 - Stanford; 2017 - Arizona. All eight of those teams went on to win at least a share of the Conference’s regular-season title.
+147 - UTAH and USC enter the fifth week of Pac-12 play tied for second in the league standings thanks to four- and three-game win streaks, respectively.
- USC has won seven of its last nine games, improving 83 spots (159 to 76) in the NET over that span
- Utah has won seven of its last 10 games, improving 64 spots (153 to 89) in the NET over that span
TWO EFFICIENT HUSKIES: WASHINGTON’s Jaylen Nowell (16.9p/5.2r/3.3a/51.8% FG/43.9% 3FG) is one of two NCAA Division I players (Ian Dubose, Houston Baptist) - and the only Jerry West Award candidate - averaging at least 16.0 points, 5.0 rebounds and 3.0 assists along with 50% shooting and 40% behind the arc.
UNO TINKLE: OREGON STATE’s Julius Erving Award candidate Tres Tinkle (20.3p/8.2r/4.2a/1.8s) is the lone NCAA Division I player averaging at least 20.0 points, 8.0 rebounds, 4.0 assists and 1.8 steals.
POINTZ, REBOUNDZ, ASSISTZ: ARIZONA STATE’s Zylan Cheatham is the lone Pac-12 player and among 18 NCAA Division I players averaging a double-double this season (11.8 points, 10.4 rebounds - T-12th nationally).
Cheatham is one of two players in NCAA Division I (Ethan Happ, Wisconsin - 18.9p/10.4r/5.2a) averaging a double-double and at least three assists.
DPOY?: WASHINGTON’s Matisse Thybulle and OREGON STATE’s Kylor Kelley are among 15 players on the Naismith Trophy Defensive Player of the Year watch list.
- Thybulle is one of two NCAA Division I players ranked in the top 100 nationally (Zion Williamson, Duke) in both steals and blocks (2.9 spg - 5th, 2.15 bpg - 31st).
- Kelley ranks second in NCAA D-I with 3.7 blocks per game.
CONFERENCE STANDINGS (Expanded Standings)
|Teams||Pac-12 Record||Overall Record|
UPCOMING SCHEDULE (All Times Pacific - Expanded Schedule Details)
|Wednesday, Jan. 30||TV||Time|
|UCLA at Washington State*||PAC12||7 p.m.|
|USC at Washington*||FS1||8 p.m.|
|Thursday, Jan. 31||TV||Time|
|Arizona at Arizona State*||ESPN2||6 p.m.|
|Oregon State at Colorado*||PAC12||6 p.m.|
|Oregon at Utah*||FS1||6 p.m.|
|Saturday, Feb. 2||TV||Time|
|UCLA at Washington*||ESPN2||1 p.m.|
|Oregon State at Utah*||PAC12||2 p.m.|
|USC at Washington State*||PAC12||4 p.m.|
|Oregon at Colorado*||PAC12||6:30 p.m.|
|Sunday, Feb. 3||TV||Time|
|Stanford at California*||ESPNU||1 p.m.|
* Pac-12 Game
PAC-12 PLAYER OF THE WEEK
NCAA.com Player of the Week:
Luguentz Dort, Arizona State (Nov. 26)
NCAA.com Team of the Week:
Arizona State (Dec. 24)
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 11:30am PTLive
TOMORROW | 3:00pm PTLive