Race for Conference crown, tourney byes heats up in Pac-12 Men's Basketball
INSIDE PAC-12 MEN'S BASKETBALL PODCAST:
The Inside Pac-12 Men's Basketball Podcast provides a new level of detail and nuanced insight into all things Pac-12 hoops, deep-diving into current conference play, Pac-12 alumni in the NBA, professional potential of current Pac-12 student-athletes, and much more. All-time Pac-12 scoring leader Don MacLean offers a unique perspective on the collegiate and professional basketball landscapes, stories from his career, and projections on student-athletes around the conference.
#PAC12HOOPS STARTING FIVE:
.447 - Pac-12 road teams are 34-42 (.447) through 76 league games.
- The Conference’s best single-season win percentage for road teams under the 18-game format came in 2007-08 at 42-48 (.467). The best road win percentage in the Pac-12 era is .398 (43-65) in 2012-13.
+3.0 - WASHINGTON’s current 3.0-game lead in the Pac-12 standings is tied for the second-largest league lead in the nation (SoCon - +3.5, WAC - +3.0).
- The Huskies can clinch at least a share of the Conference crown this weekend with favorable league results. It would be the 12th regular-season title in program history and first since 2011-12.
- 3.5-games separate nine teams between second and 10th place in the Pac-12 standings, tied with Conference USA and the Sun Belt for the most teams separated by the fewest games among the 32 leagues.
12.0 - Through 76 league games as of Feb. 17, the average scoring margin is 12.0 points.
- 32 games have been decided by single digits
- 9 games have been decided by one possession (3 pts. or less)
- 5 overtime games (5 total OT periods)
- 1 game decided on teams final possession (P. Van Dyke - UTAH at UCLA)
18 & 10 - The two longest series win streaks in the Pac-12 will be on the line this week:
- ARIZONA hosts STANFORD on Sunday having won 18 consecutive meetings dating to 2009.
- UTAH welcomes WASHINGTON STATE on Saturday with a streak of 10 straight series victories dating to 2014.
289... - WASHINGTON’s Matisse Thybulle enters the week with 289 career steals, the most of any active player in NCAA Division I and third-most in Pac-12 history
- At 3.36 spg, Thybulle would need 10 more games to reach Gary Payton’s all-time Pac-12 Conference mark and NCAA Division I’s 26th-best total of 321.
ROAD SWEEPS: They’ve been difficult to come by - just 51 in total - since the Pac-12 expanded prior to the 2011-12 season. There have been eight road sweeps accomplished in the Pac-12 so far this season, two shy of the record of 10 set in 2016-17:
- ARIZ at CAL/STAN
- COLO at UCLA/USC
- OSU at COLO/UTAH
- UTAH at CAL/STAN & UCLA/USC
- WASH at ORE/OSU & COLO/UTAH
- WSU at ARIZ/ASU
UTAH and WASHINGTON are now seeking to join Arizona in 2014-15 and 2016-17, and UCLA in 2016- 17 to post three road sweeps in a Pac-12 season.
A school-by-school total of road sweeps in the Pac-12 era:
- ARIZ - 13
- ORE - 9
- UTAH - 7
- CAL - 6
- UCLA, WASH - 4
- USC - 3
- COLO - 2
- OSU, STAN, WSU - 1
- ASU - 0
NATIONAL DPOY?: WASHINGTON’s Matisse Thybulle and OREGON STATE’s Kylor Kelley are among 15 players on the Naismith Trophy Defensive Player of the Year watch list.
- Thybulle is the only NCAA Division I player ranked in the top 30 nationally in both steals and blocks (3.36 spg - 1st, 2.12 bpg - T-27th) and one of only two in the top 100 (Zion Williamson, Duke).
- Kelley ranks second in NCAA D-I with 3.46 blocks per game.
- At 3.36 spg and 289 career steals, Thybulle would need 10 more games to match Gary Payton’s all-time Pac-12 Conference mark of 321.
PAC-12 RECORDS WATCH:
Career Steals List (Min. 2 seasons)
- 321 - Gary Payton, OSU, 1986-90
- 298 - Brevin Knight, STAN, 1994-97
- 289 - MATISSE THYBULLE, WASH, 2016-PRES
CONFERENCE STANDINGS (Expanded Standings)
|Teams||Pac-12 Record||Overall Record|
UPCOMING SCHEDULE (All Times Pacific - Expanded Schedule Details)
|Wednesday, Feb. 20||TV||Time|
|Stanford at Arizona State*||ESPN2||6 p.m.|
|Colorado at Washington State*||PAC12||7 p.m.|
|Utah at Washington*||FS1||8 p.m.|
|Thursday, Feb. 21||TV||Time|
|California at Arizona*||FS1||6 p.m.|
|Oregon at USC*||ESPN||6 p.m.|
|Oregon State at UCLA*||FS1||8 p.m.|
|Saturday, Feb. 23||TV||Time|
|Oregon State at USC*||PAC12||3 p.m.|
|Utah at Washington State*||PAC12||5 p.m.|
|Oregon at UCLA*||ESPN2||7 p.m.|
|Colorado at Washington*||PAC12||7:30 p.m.|
|Sunday, Feb. 24||TV||Time|
|California at Arizona State*||PAC12||3 p.m.|
|Stanford at Arizona*||ESPNU||5 p.m.|
* Pac-12 Game
PAC-12 PLAYER OF THE WEEK
NCAA.com Team of the Week:
Arizona State (Dec. 24)
Naismith Player of the Week:
Robert Franks, Washington State (Feb. 11)
USBWA Oscar Robertson National Player of the Week:
Robert Franks, Washington State (Feb. 12)
NABC NCAA Division I Team of the Week:
Utah (Feb. 12)
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 12:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 2:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 4:00pm PTLive