Pac-12 announces baseball players of the week
SAN FRANCISCO - The Pac-12 Conference office announced today that CALIFORNIA’s Andrew Vaughn was named Pac-12 Player of the Week and WASHINGTON STATE’s Brandon White was tabbed Pac-12 Pitcher of the Week.
Pac-12 Baseball Player of the Week: Andrew Vaughn, Jr., IF, California (Santa Rosa, Calif.)
4 GP, .615 AVG, 1.154 SLG, .750 OBP, 2 HR, 6 RBI, 7 BB
• Last year’s Golden Spikes Award winner and Pac-12 Player of the Year went 8-for-13 on the week in a 10-6 win over BYU and a three-game road sweep of Cal Poly.
• Currently leads the Pac-12 and ranks second in the country with a 0.714 on base percentage, reaching base 15 times out of 20 plate appearances on the week.
• Intentionally walked in his final three plate appearances in the series finale against Cal Poly, leading the nation with 14 walks already this year.
• Five of his six RBI on the week gave the Bears the lead, including a go-ahead two RBI single in the sixth to secure the comeback 5-4 victory over the Mustangs on Saturday.
• The junior majoring in legal studies earns his fifth-career Pac-12 Player of the Week honor, previously winning the award three times as a sophomore and once as a freshman. This is the 80th all-time weekly nod for the Bears.
Pac-12 Baseball Pitcher of the Week: Brandon White, Fr., RHP, Washington State (Chehalis, Wash.)
1 GP, 6.1 IP, 9 K, 0.00 ERA, 0 BB
• In his first-career start and second-career appearance, earned a 10-0 road win over Santa Clara after throwing six no-hit innings and striking out nine with no walks, needing just 75 pitches to face the minimum and record his first-career win.
• The freshman retired the first 15 batters faced before a fielding error allowed his first baserunner who was thrown out later in the inning trying to steal a base.
• Combined with teammate junior reliever Owen Leonard for a one-hit shutout and 15 strikeouts, the most strikeout by a Cougars team since 2015 at Arizona State (16).
• A Washington native interested in studying civil engineering, earns his first-career Pac-12 Pitcher of the Week honor and the 80th all-time weekly nod for the Cougars.
Player of the Week: Cameron Cannon, ARIZONA; Trevor Hauver, ARIZONA STATE; Aaron Zavala, OREGON; Alex McGarry, OREGON STATE; Will Matthiessen, STANFORD; Jake Pries, UCLA; CJ Stubbs, USC; Erick Migueles, UTAH; Nick Kahle, WASHINGTON; Kyle Manzardo, WASHINGTON STATE.
Pitcher of the Week: Avery Weems, ARIZONA; RJ Dabovich, ARIZONA STATE; Ryne Nelson, OREGON; Brandon Eisert, OREGON STATE; Alex Williams, STANFORD; Jesse Bergin, UCLA; John Beller, USC; Kyle Robeniol, UTAH; Josh Burgmann, WASHINGTON.
2019 PAC-12 BASEBALL PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
|Feb. 19||Spencer Torkelson, Arizona State||Bryce Fehmel, Oregon State|
|Feb. 26||Andrew Vaughn, California||Brandon White, Washington State|