California leads after day one of the Pac-12 Women's Swimming and Diving & Men's Diving Championships
CALIFORNIA took an early lead after the first day of competition at the Pac-12 Women’s Swimming and Diving and Men’s Diving Championships, at the Weyerhaeuser King County Aquatic Center in Federal Way, Wash. The Golden Bears swept the 200-yard medley relay and 800-yard freestyle relay.
200-yard Medley Relay
• California opened the 2019 Pac-12 Championships with a rely win from Izzy Ivey, Ema Rajic, Maddie Murphy and Abbey Weitzeil (1:35.21).
• Stanford took second in a time of 1:35.51, led by senior Ella Eastin and teammates Grace Zhao, Amalie Fackenthal and Taylor Ruck.
• USC’s quad of Hannah Leach, Riley Scott, Louise Hansson and Marta Ciesla touched in at 1:35.59 to place third.
• All three times are good enough for an NCAA A qualifying time.
800-yard Freestyle Relay
• California ended the day victorious in both relays as teammates Izzy Ivey, Robin Neumann, Katie McLaughlin and Amy Bilquist clocked in at 6:50.63. The relay came down to the very end, as the anchor leg was the deciding factor in the race.
• The Cardinal squad of Taylor Ruck, Ella Eastin, Katie Drabot and Brooke Forde took second with a time of 6:51.69.
• USC recorded another bronze finished as Louise Hansson, Laticia Transom, Tatum Wade and Kirsten Vose clocked a time fast enough for an NCAA A qualifying time (6:54.56).
• Arizona State’s Youssef Selim topped the podium with a score of 402.00, beating out second place by nearly 90 points. Selim is now the two-time reigning Pac-12 Champion after collecting his first win in the event last year (.382.90).
• Stanford’s Noah Vigran finished second with a score of 331.95
• In third place was another Sun Devil, David Hoffer (317.15).
• Five total divers recorded an NCAA qualifying standard of 300 points with the additions of Connor Callahan (316.35) and Eric Correa (301.50).
Team Scores Through Event 2
1. California - 128
2. Stanford - 112
3. USC - 108
4. Arizona - 102
4. Arizona State - 102
5. UCLA - 94
7. Washington State - 90
8. Utah - 48
9. Oregon State – 44
Competition resumes on Thursday at 10:30 a.m. PT with the preliminary rounds of the 500-yard freestyle, 200-yard individual medley and 50-yard freestyle. The preliminary round of the men’s 3-meter starts at 12 p.m. PT and the prelims of the women’s 1-meter starts at 1:50 p.m. PT. The final for the women’s 1-meter starts at 4 p.m. PT. The finals session for the morning session events plus the 200-yard freestyle relay (timed final) will begin at 6 p.m. PT.
- California Women's Swimming & Diving
- Stanford Women's Swimming & Diving
- USC Women's Swimming & Diving
- Arizona Women's Swimming & Diving
- UCLA Women's Swimming/Diving
- Arizona State Women's Swimming & Diving
- Washington State Women's Swimming & Diving
- Utah Women's Swimming & Diving
- Oregon State Women's Swimming & Diving
- Pac-12 Women's Swimming and Diving Championships
- Arizona State
- Oregon State
- Washington State
- Women's Swimming & Diving
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 6:30pm PTLive