Pac-12 announces baseball players of the week
SAN FRANCISCO - The Pac-12 Conference office announced today that OREGON STATE’s Adley Rutschman was named Pac-12 Player of the Week and UCLA’s Zach Pettway was tabbed Pac-12 Pitcher of the Week.
Pac-12 Baseball Player of the Week: Adley Rutschman, Jr., C/IF, Oregon State (Sherwood, Ore.)
4 GP, .615 AVG., 2 HR, 9 RBI, 4 R, 5 BB, .684 OBP, 1.077 SLG
• Hit safely in all four games for No. 2 Oregon State’s on the week, including a 7-6 win over Oregon and a 1-2 record against No. 1 UCLA in its Conference series opener. Had multi-RBI games in three of four matchups.
• Drew five walks in four games, upping his season total to 26 which is the second-most in the country. Currently boasts the best batting average (.456) and on base percentage (.619) in the Pac-12.
• Notched his first multi-home run game of the season in the series finale against the Bruins, giving him eight through 18 games, nearing his career-high of nine from last year.
• The junior majoring in finance was the NCAA College World Series Most Outstanding Player last year and is the projected Player of the Year by Collegiate Baseball.
• Earns his first-career Pac-12 weekly honor and the 139th all-time for the Beavers.
Pac-12 Baseball Pitcher of the Week: Zach Pettway, So., RHP, UCLA (Long Beach, Calif.)
1 GS, 1-0, 7.0 IP, 8 K, 3 H, 0.0 ERA
• No. 1 UCLA’s righty threw seven scoreless innings to help shut out No. 2 Oregon State, 8-0, on Friday in the Pac-12 opener. Combined with teammate junior right-hander Kyle Mora to blank the Beavers.
• Allowed just three hits and added eight strikeouts, the fourth time in five outings this year he has recorded eight or more punchouts. Tied for the lead league with 39 strikeouts on the year.
• The Beavers had a runner in scoring position with less than two outs just once in the game. He went three-up, three-down in both the third and sixth innings, and started the night with a three-strikeout frame in the first.
• His first win of the year gave head coach John Savage his 500th victory at UCLA, the third coach in program history to reach that mark.
• A consensus Freshman All-American last year, the sophomore earns his first-career Pac-12 weekly honor and the 123rd for the Bruins.
Player of the Week: Cameron Cannon, ARIZONA; Hunter Bishop, ARIZONA STATE; Jack Stronach, UCLA; CJ Stubbs, USC; Mason Cerrillo, WASHINGTON; Collin Montez, WASHINGTON STATE.
Pitcher of the Week: Quinn Flanagan, ARIZONA; Chaz Montoya, ARIZONA STATE; Ryne Nelson, OREGON; Brandon Eisert, OREGON STATE; Isaac Esqueda, USC.
2019 PAC-12 BASEBALL PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive