Pac-12 announces baseball players of the week
SAN FRANCISCO - The Pac-12 Conference office announced today that ARIZONA STATE’s Hunter Bishop was named Pac-12 Player of the Week and UCLA’s Ryan Garcia was tabbed Pac-12 Pitcher of the Week.
Pac-12 Baseball Player of the Week: Hunter Bishop, Jr., OF, Arizona State (Palo Alto, Calif.)
4 GP, 4 HR, 7 RBI, 5 BB, 6 XBH, .375 AVG, .524 OBP, 1.250 SLG
• The national home run leader homered four times in four games to help No. 9 ASU to a 3-1 record on the week, including a series road win over Oregon, and improve to 22-1 on the year.
• Extended his national home run lead to 14 by notching his third and fourth multi-home run games on the year.
• Drew a team-best five walks on the week, two of which were intentional as the Ducks tried to avoid his hot bat.
• Leads the Pac-12 in runs scored (36), total bases (92), slugging percentage (1.034), hits (38) and RBI (36).
• The junior majoring in sports and media studies was a Pac-12 All-Academic honorable mention last season for maintaining a grade-point average above 3.0. He was selected in the 24th round (714th overall) of the 2016 MLB Draft by the San Diego Padres. This marks his second-career Pac-12 weekly honor, winning his first earlier this month. It is the 151st all-time for the Sun Devils.
• Bishop is actively involved in the #4Mom Charity Organization with his brother and Seattle Mariner Braden Bishop. The charity works to raise awareness for Alzheimer’s Disease, which has afflicted their mother, Suzy, since Hunter was in high school. For more information, visit www.4mom.org.
Pac-12 Baseball Pitcher of the Week: Ryan Garcia, Jr., RHP, UCLA (Sierra Madre, Calif.)
1 GS, 7.1 IP, 8 K, 1 H, 0.0 ERA
• Allowed just one hit and retired 21 of the final 22 batters he faced, including 11 straight to end his outing, in a 3-1 win over Arizona to clinch the three-game sweep.
• While not getting the decision, pitched a career-high 7.1 innings and was one shy of a career-best with eight strikeouts. Contained a dangerous Wildcat offense, which has the second-most runs (227) and fourth-best on base percentage (0.429) in the country.
• Went 1-2-3 in four of the six full innings he pitched. Faced the minimum in every inning except the first.
• Wiped out the only hit he allowed, a fourth-inning single, by inducing a double play from the next batter.
• Boasts a 1.20 ERA over 15.0 innings with 19 strikeouts on the year.
• An All-Regional honoree at last year’s NCAA Minneapolis Regional, the junior studying political science earns his first-career Pac-12 weekly honor and the 124th all-time for the Bruins.
Player of the Week: Nick Quintana, ARIZONA; Korey Lee, CALIFORNIA; George Mendazona, OREGON STATE; Jack Stronach, UCLA; Nick Kahle, WASHINGTON.
Pitcher of the Week: Andrew Nardi, ARIZONA; Sam Romero, ARIZONA STATE; Robert Ahlstrom, OREGON; Grant Gambrell, OREGON STATE; Jack Little, STANFORD; Kyle Hurt, USC; David Rhodes, WASHINGTON.
2019 PAC-12 BASEBALL PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
TOMORROW | 11:00am PTLive
TOMORROW | 1:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 3:00pm PTLive