Pac-12 announces tennis players of the week
Pac-12 Men's Tennis Player of the Week: Mor Bulis, Fr., USC (Petach Tikva, Israel)
• The spring addition to No. 14 USC registered his first match-clinching singles win as a Trojan to upset No. 3 Texas, 4-2. The road win was USC’s second upset of a top-four team this season.
• Facing Texas’ Chih Chi Huang on the sixth singles court, the newcomer snagged the first set but was down 5-6 in the second with the match on the line. Bulis came in clutch and rallied back to defeat his opponent 6-2, 7-5 and secure the victory for the Trojans.
• The freshman majoring in business administration and management earns his first-career Pac-12 weekly honor and the second-straight for USC. It it’s the 53rd all-time men’s weekly honor for the Trojans.
ALSO NOMINATED: Filip Malbasic, ARIZONA; Justin Roberts, ARIZONA STATE; Dominic Barretto, CALIFORNIA.
Pac-12 Women's Tennis Player of the Week: Monica Malinen, Jr., Colorado (Oulu, Finland)
• Went 4-0 in all of her matches on the week with doubles victories against the No. 47 and No. 2-ranked teams in the nation. Helped the Buffs to a win over Arizona, 4-3, but fell to Arizona State, 3-4.
• After Colorado lost its first doubles match on court two against the Wildcats, Malinen and partner Annabelle Andrinopoulos needed a comeback after being down 5-4 against No. 47 Emma Wilson and Sophia Thomas. The Buffs duo won the next three games to secure the first doubles win, 7-5, against a ranked team this season for CU.
• Malinen and her partner followed it up by handing ASU’s duo and the No. 2-ranked doubles team in the country, Lauryn John-Baptiste and Ilze Hattingh, its first doubles loss this season, 6-4. She then notched another comeback victory on the third singles court, dropping the first set 6-0 and then storming back to claim the second and third sets for a final result of 0-6, 6-2, 6-3.
• The junior plans on majoring in integrative physiology and wants to be a physiotherapist after graduation. She earns her first-career Pac-12 weekly honor and the second-ever for the Buffs.
ALSO NOMINATED: Camila Wesbrooks, ARIZONA; Anna Bright, CALIFORNIA; Elysia Bolton, UCLA; Michaela Bayerlova, WASHINGTON STATE.
2018-19 PAC-12 MEN'S AND WOMEN'S TENNIS PLAYER OF THE WEEK