Pac-12 announces baseball players of the week
SAN FRANCISCO - The Pac-12 Conference office announced today that ARIZONA STATE’s Hunter Bishop was named Pac-12 Player of the Week and Oregon State’s Brandon Eisert was tabbed Pac-12 Pitcher of the Week
Pac-12 Baseball Player of the Week: Hunter Bishop, Jr., OF, Arizona State (Palo Alto, Calif.)
3 GP, .400 AVG, .647 OBP, 1.100 SLG, 2 HR, 4 RBI, 8 R, 2 SB
• The NCAA home run leader (16) continues his breakout year, hitting another two homers in No. 5 ASU’s first series sweep over Arizona since 2009. With an impressive 25-1 record, the Sun Devils are the only team in the country with just one loss and boast the best winning percentage (0.962).
• Drew six walks, four of which were intentional, to collect a .647 on-base percentage in the three-game tilt.
• In the series finale slugfest that ended in a 17-16 victory for Arizona State, Bishop scored four runs including the game-tying run in the eighth. His 44th run of the season is tied for the most in the country.
• On top of leading the country in home runs and runs, Bishop also claims the best slugging percentage at a staggering 1.040, most total bases (103) and has the sixth-most RBI (40).
• Becomes the first ASU player to earn back-to-back Pac-12 Player of the Week honors since Ike Davis in 2008. This marks his third-career Pac-12 weekly honor, earning all three this year, and the 152nd all-time for the Sun Devils.
• The junior majoring in sports and media studies was a Pac-12 All-Academic honorable mention last season for maintaining a grade-point average above 3.0. He was selected in the 24th round (714th overall) of the 2016 MLB Draft by the San Diego Padres.
• Bishop is actively involved in the #4Mom Charity Organization with his brother and Seattle Mariner Braden Bishop. The charity works to raise awareness for Alzheimer’s Disease, which has afflicted their mother, Suzy, since Hunter was in high school. For more information, visit www.4mom.org.
Pac-12 Baseball Pitcher of the Week: Brandon Eisert, Jr., LHP, Oregon State (Beaverton, Ore.)
1 GS, 1-0, 6.1 IP, 9 K, 4 H, 0.0 ERA
• On the road at Washington, No. 6 OSU’s southpaw held the Huskies to 6 1/3 scoreless innings, a new career-high, and stuck out nine to pick up a 1-0 victory. His sixth win of the season is the second-most in the country.
• Earned his 16th career victory in only his second-career start. He is 16-3 in three seasons with the Beavers and his winning percentage of .842 ranks him sixth in Oregon State's history.
• Through nine appearances this year, the NCBWA Stopper of the Year candidate boasts the second-best ERA in the nation (0.30) and leads the Pac-12 in opposing batting average (0.157) and hits allowed (16).
• The junior majoring in marketing earned a Pac-12 All-Academic honorable mention last season for maintaining a grade-point average above 3.0. This marks his first-career Pac-12 weekly honor and the 140th all-time for the Beavers.
Player of the Week: Tate Soderstrom, ARIZONA; Korey Lee, CALIFORNIA; Tanner Smith, OREGON; Ryan Ober, OREGON STATE; Michael Toglia, UCLA; Nick Kahle, WASHINGTON.
Pitcher of the Week: Sam Romero, ARIZONA STATE; Sam Stoutenborough, CALIFORNIA; Robert Ahlstrom, OREGON; Jack Ralston, UCLA; Connor Lunn, USC; Josh Burgmann, WASHINGTON.
2019 PAC-12 BASEBALL PLAYERS OF THE WEEK