Pagdanganan, Del Rey earn March Golfer of the Month honors
SAN FRANCISCO –– The Pac-12 announced today that ARIZONA’s Bianca Pagdanganan and ARIZONA STATE’s Alex del Rey have been named Pac-12 Men’s and Women’s Golfers of the Month for March.
Pac-12 Women’s Golfer of the Month: Bianca Pagdanganan, Arizona (Sr., Quezon City, Philippines)
• Posted her first win of the season with a 9-under 207 (70-70-67) at the Hawkeye El Tigre Invitational to win by six strokes over teammate Yu-Sang Hou. Arizona won the team title by 36 strokes.
• Earlier in the month, she finished tied for fourth at the Arizona Wildcat Invitational where she posted a 3-over 219 (75-74-70) in difficult conditions. Arizona finished third in the team race.
• Pagdanganan, a Sports & Society major, has finished among the top four in each of the last three tournaments she’s played.
Also nominated: Olivia Mehaffey, Arizona State; Cindy Oh, California; Olivia Benzin, Oregon State; Beth Wu, UCLA.
Pac-12 Women’s Golf Notes: Seven Pac-12 teams are ranked in Golfweek’s Top 25 with USC leading the way at No. 2, followed by No. 3 Stanford, No. 7 UCLA, No. 11 Arizona, No. 16 Arizona State and No. 22 Washington … Pac-12 individuals are prominently listed among the Top 25 in Golfstat’s individual rankings - No. 1 Andrea Lee, Stanford; No. 5 Mariel Galdiano, UCLA; No. 7 Albane Valenzuela, Stanford; No. 11 Jennifer Chang, USC; No. 14 Patty Tavatanakit, UCLA; No. 17 Amelia Garvey, USC; No. 20 Malia Nam, USC; No. 22 Olivia Mehaffey, Arizona State … Arizona State’s Mehaffey set a course record at Papago with a 65 during the second round of the PING/ASU Invitational … 11 current Pac-12 women’s golfers will participate in the inaugural Augusta National Women’s Amateur Championship (April 3-6). The first two rounds will be held at the Retreat Golf Club in Augusta, Ga. Following the 36-hole cut, the final competitive round will take place at the storied Augusta National Golf Club on Saturday, April 6 … Pac-12 Women’s Golf Championship will follow April 15-17 at Palos Verdes Golf Club, Palos Verdes Estates, Calif.
Pac-12 Men’s Golfer of the Month: Alex del Rey, Arizona State (Jr., Madrid, Spain)
• Opened the month with a seventh-place finish at the Querencia Cabo Collegiate where he fired a 4-under 209 (70-72-67) in leading the Sun Devils to second in the team race.
• Was even par 216 (70-71-75) to finish tied for 10th at the Lamkin Grips San Diego Classic where Arizona State captured top team honors.
• The Interdisciplinary Studies major (3.21 gpa) capped the month with medalist honors after shooting 17-under 199 (69-64-66) to win the National Invitational Tournament, leading the Sun Devils to back-to-back team wins.
Also nominated: Trevor Werbylo, Arizona; Collin Morikawa, California; Daniel O’Loughlin, Colorado; Spencer Tibbits, Oregon State; Cole Madey, UCLA
Pac-12 Men’s Golf Notes: GolfWeek’s Top 25 features No. 2 ARIZONA STATE, No. 7 USC, No. 10 CALIFORNIA and No. 21 STANFORD … Arizona’s Trevor Werbylo broke an Arizona program record with his second round of 62 (-10) at the National Invitational Tournament, making it the lowest round in relation to par in program history … California’s Collin Morikawa extended his streak of top-five finishes to eight straight. He’s posted a top-10 finish in 14 straight and top-20 finishes to 21 outings in a row … Morikawa and Stanford’s Brandon Wu were named two of the four finalists for the Byron Nelson Award, which is presented to the top senior men’s college golfer … Morikawa sits No. 2 in Golfstat’s individual rankings, followed by USC’s Justin Suh at No. 4. Arizona State’s Chun An Yu is No. 6, Stanford’s Wu is No. 14, and Oregon’s Edwin Yi is No. 22.
2018-19 PAC-12 GOLFERS OF THE MONTH