Pac-12 announces baseball players of the week
SAN FRANCISCO - The Pac-12 Conference office announced today that OREGON STATE’s Adley Rutschman was named Pac-12 Player of the Week and Stanford’s Brendan Beck was tabbed Pac-12 Pitcher of the Week.
Pac-12 Baseball Player of the Week: Adley Rutschman, Jr., C/IF, Oregon State (Sherwood, Ore.)
5 GP, .474 AVG, 1.000 SLG, 3 HR, 7RBI, 6 R, 3 BB
• Hit safely in all five games as No. 3 OSU went 4-1 on the week against San Diego State and Utah. Boasts the best on-base percentage in the country at 0.580.
• Homered in each of OSU’s three wins over Utah. His 11th home run of the season was a solo shot in the eighth inning of the second game that tied the game and enabled the Beavers to win in 11 innings.
• Racked up three base on balls for a season total of 29, second-most in the nation.
• Seven RBI on the week gave him 152 for his career, tying him for sixth-most at Oregon State.
• The junior majoring in finance was the NCAA College World Series Most Outstanding Player last year and is the projected Player of the Year by Collegiate Baseball.
• Earns his second-career Pac-12 weekly honor, winning his first earlier this season on March 19. This marks the 141st all-time weekly honor for the Beavers.
Pac-12 Baseball Pitcher of the Week: Brendan Beck, So., RHP, Stanford (Corona, Calif.)
1 GS, 7.1 IP, 5 K, 5 H, 0.00 ERA
• No. 5 Staford’s starter shut down No. 1 UCLA through 7.1 innings in the series opener of the then-No. 1 and No. 2 team in the country. Although he didn’t earn the decision, the Cardinal went on to win 3-2 after Will Matthiessen hit a walk-off single in the bottom of the ninth.
• Escaped jams in the fourth and sixth innings, stranding two runners in both innings to preserve Stanford’s 1-0 lead.
• Showed his range off the mound in the third when he fielded a bunt and fired to third to erase the runner in scoring position. Beck then forced an inning-ending double play on the next batter.
• The sophomore majoring in science, technology and society carries a 3.49 grade-point average. He was an All-Pac-12 honorable mention and named a freshman All-American by four outlets last season.
• Earns his first-career Pac-12 weekly honor and the 144th all-time for the Cardinal.
Player of the Week: Austin Wells, ARIZONA; Sam Wezniak, CALIFORNIA; Max Foxcroft, OREGON; Jack Stronach, UCLA; Matthew Acosta, USC.
Pitcher of the Week: Andrew Nardi, ARIZONA; Jared Horn, CALIFORNIA; Cullen Kafka, OREGON; Bryce Fehmel, OREGON STATE; Jesse Bergin, UCLA; Connor Lunn, USC; Brett Brocoff, UTAH.
2019 PAC-12 BASEBALL PLAYERS OF THE WEEK