Pac-12 announces baseball players of the week
SAN FRANCISCO - The Pac-12 Conference office announced today that OREGON’s Spencer Steer was named Pac-12 Player of the Week and UCLA’s Ryan Garcia was tabbed Pac-12 Pitcher of the Week.
Pac-12 Baseball Player of the Week: Spencer Steer, Jr., INF, Oregon (Long Beach, Calif.)
4 GP, .474 AVG, .524 OBP, .947 SLG, 3 HR, 12 RBI, 6 R, 1 SB
• Knocked in two grand slams and had three multi-RBI games as Oregon went 3-1 on the week, including a rivalry victory over No. 4 Oregon State and a series win over Washington State.
• In Oregon's Civil War victory over OSU on Tuesday, Steer delivered an RBI single in the Ducks' four-run eighth inning in a 12-8 win. The game was tied 8-8 heading into the eighth.
• In the series finale at WSU, he blasted two home runs, including a two-out grand slam to tie the game in the top of the ninth and send the game into extra innings. Tied a career-high with five RBI while going 3-for-5 with two runs scored.
• On a 14-game hitting streak, tied for the third-longest at Oregon since baseball returned in 2009 and is one game shy of tying the longest streak.
• Also honored by Collegiate Baseball as national player of the week.
• The junior majoring in general social science earned a Pac-12 All-Academic honorable mention last year for maintaining a grade-point average over 3.0. He was selected in the 29th round (872nd overall) of the 2016 MLB Draft by the Cleveland Indians.
• Earns his first-career Pac-12 Player of the Week honor and the 15th all-time for the Ducks.
Pac-12 Baseball Pitcher of the Week: Ryan Garcia, Jr., RHP, UCLA (Sierra Madre, Calif.)
1 GS, 7.0 IP, 1-0, 0.00 ERA, 13 K, 3 H
• Tossed seven scoreless innings as No. 1 UCLA shutout No. 15 East Carolina 3-0 and completed the three-game series sweep.
• Fanned 13 batters, a new career-high, which included striking out the side in the second and fourth innings. He is the first Bruin with 13 strikeouts in over five years.
• Limited ECU to just one runner in scoring position, and it was the first batter of the game.
• After striking out 11 batters last week at Stanford, he is the first Bruin with 10+ Ks in back-to-back starts since Griffin Canning 2017.
• Owns the best WHIP (0.82) and the second-best ERA (1.32) in the Conference this year.
• Named one of Collegiate Baseball’s national players of the week.
• The junior earns his second-career Pac-12 Pitcher of the Week honor, winning his first earlier this year on March 25. This marks the 75th all-time weekly pitching honor for the Bruins.
Player of the Week: Alex McGarry, OREGON STATE; Kyle Stowers, STANFORD; Michael Toglia, UCLA; Erick Migueles, UTAH; Collin Montez, WASHINGTON STATE
Pitcher of the Week: Alec Marsh, ARIZONA STATE; Jared Horn, CALIFORNIA; Grant Gambrell, OREGON STATE; Erik Miller, STANFORD; Brett Brocoff, UTAH.
2019 PAC-12 BASEBALL PLAYERS OF THE WEEK