Pac-12 announces tennis players of the week
Pac-12 Men's Tennis Player of the Week: Govind Nanda, Fr., UCLA (Redlands, Calif.)
• No. 45 Nanda capped an unbeaten individual week with a match-clinching singles victory against Washington, giving No. 14 UCLA a 3-0 record on the week. The Bruins took down Pepperdine, 4-1, No. 45 Oregon, 4-1, and the Huskies, 4-0.
• Against Pepperdine’s third singles player, surrendered just three total games en route to a 6-0, 6-3 result.
• Straight-set victory over Piers Foley of Washington on the third singles court, 7-5, 6-1, was the match clincher for the Bruins and marks their 10th-straight team victory. Nanda has won eight of his last nine singles matches.
• Recently teamed up with doubles partner Connor Rapp and notched two more dominant wins on the second doubles court last week. The pair has won its last four decisions.
• The freshman earns his first-career Pac-12 Player of the Week honor and 42nd all-time for the Bruins.
ALSO NOMINATED: Filip Malbasic, ARIZONA; William Genesen, STANFORD; Tanner Smith, USC.
Pac-12 Women's Tennis Player of the Week: Michaela Bayerlova, So., Washington State (Krumbach, Germany)
• No. 32 Bayerlova defeated a top-50 singles opponents to help No. 35 Washington State upset No. 10 UCLA, 4-2. The victory over UCLA was WSU’s highest-ranked team win in program history, besting its victory over No. 20 California in 2002. She also defeated ranked opponent against No. 15 USC, but the Cougars fell to the Trojans, 4-1.
• Defeated UCLA’s Jada Hart, ranked 39th in the nation, in a come-from-behind, three-set victory at court one, 3-6, 6-4, 6-4.
• Was in complete control in a 6-1, 6-3 win over No. 52 Salma Ewing of USC, providing the Cougars their only victory of the day against the Trojans.
• She is 7-3 against nationally-ranked players and 22-5 overall in singles play this season.
• The sophomore majoring in data analytics carries an impressive 3.58 grade-point average. Earns her third-career Pac-12 Player of the Week honor, previously winning twice her freshman season. It marks the 10th all-time honor for the Cougs.
ALSO NOMINATED: Talya Zandberg, ARIZONA; Olivia Hauger, CALIFORNIA; Annabelle Andrinopoulos, COLORADO; Ayan Broomfield, UCLA; Sedona Gallagher, WASHINGTON.
The Pac-12’s nine men’s teams and 11 women’s teams head to Ojai, Calif., Wednesday, April 24 - Saturday, April 27 to decide the Pac-12 men’s and women’s tennis team champions. Pac-12 competition will be held in conjunction with the 119th Annual Ojai Valley Tennis Tournament. Fans can buy five-day, weekend and single day passes online at www.ojaitourney.org/tournament-info/tickets/buy-tickets-online.
2018-19 PAC-12 MEN'S AND WOMEN'S TENNIS PLAYER OF THE WEEK