Pac-12 announces tennis players of the week
Pac-12 Men's Tennis Player of the Week: Keegan Smith, So., UCLA (San Diego, Calif.)
• Smith, the nation’s No. 37 ranked singles player, helped No. 14 UCLA clinch its fourth-consecutive undefeated Pac-12 regular-season record and the No. 1 seed in the Pac-12 Men’s Tennis Championship. UCLA swept the Arizona schools to secure the league regular-season title, defeating No. 27 Arizona State, 4-2, and No. 24 Arizona, 4-1.
• The doubles team of Smith and Maxime Cressy, the No. 5 doubles team in the country, knocked off two ranked doubles teams last week to complete an undefeated season in doubles play, 13-0.
• After beating No. 11 Dominik Kellovsky/Nathan Ponwith of ASU (6-4) and No. 71 Igor Karpovets/Jonas Ziverts of Arizona (6-2), Cressy and Smith are now 8-0 versus nationally-ranked opponents this season.
• Also went undefeated at the second singles spot last week, including the match clincher against ASU. It marked his ninth singles victory in a row, dating to March 14.
• Smith, a history major and last year’s Pac-12 Freshman of the Year, earns his second-career Pac-12 weekly honor and the 43rd all-time for the Bruins. A Bruin has won the men’s weekly award in three of the last four weeks heading into the Pac-12 Tennis Championships.
ALSO NOMINATED: Andrea Bolla, ARIZONA STATE; Ben Draper, CALIFORNIA; Alex Rotsaert, STANFORD; Laurens Verboven, USC.
Pac-12 Women's Tennis Player of the Week: Abi Altick, So., UCLA (Monroe, La.)
• Altick clinched the 4-2 victory for No. 10 UCLA over crosstown rival No. 15 USC and locked up the No. 2 seed for the Bruins at the Pac-12 Women’s Tennis Championship.
• Claimed both sets at the fifth singles spot against USC’s Danielle Wilson via tiebreaker with a final result of 7-6 (4), 7-6 (4).
• The match deciding singles victory represents her team-high fifth of the season.
• Also teamed with Alaina Miller, the No. 49 duo in the nation, to defeat 90th-ranked Constance Branstine and Estella Jaeger by a 6-2 score.
• The sophomore is a sociology major boasting a 3.77 grade-point average and a four-time member of the Athletic Director’s Honor Roll. She claims her first-career Pac-12 weekly honor and the 25th all-time for the Bruins.
ALSO NOMINATED: Anna Bright, CALIFORNIA; Emily Dush, UTAH; Stacey Fung, WASHINGTON.
The Pac-12’s nine men’s teams and 11 women’s teams head to Ojai, Calif., Wednesday, April 24 - Saturday, April 27 to decide the Pac-12 men’s and women’s tennis team champions. Pac-12 competition will be held in conjunction with the 119th Annual Ojai Valley Tennis Tournament. Fans can buy five-day, weekend and single day passes online at www.ojaitourney.org/tournament-info/tickets/buy-tickets-online.
2018-19 PAC-12 MEN'S AND WOMEN'S TENNIS PLAYER OF THE WEEK