Cal, UCLA, USC and Stanford set to compete in Pac-12 Men's Tennis Semifinals
OJAI, CALIF. - No. 1 UCLA, No. 2 USC, No. 3 STANFORD and No. 4 CALIFORNIA all advanced to the semifinals of the 2019 Pac-12 Men’s Tennis Championship with quarterfinal victories at Libbey Court on Wednesday.
NO. 4 CALIFORNIA 4, NO. 5 ARIZONA STATE 1
The Golden Bears defeated the Sun Devils, 4-1, to advance to the Pac-12 men’s semifinals for the seventh time in the tournament’s eight years.
Ben Draper and Jack Molloy teamed up on court three and clinched the doubles point for California with a 6-1 victory over Justin Roberts and Makey Rakotomalala of ASU. Roberts bounced right back in singles play, besting Paul Barretto on court three, 6-0, 6-4, and evening the team scores at one apiece. The Golden Bears won the next three singles matches to clinch the team victory, with freshman Yuta Kikuchi providing the clincher on court one with a 6-2, 4-6, 6-3 result over Nathan Ponwith.
NO. 1 UCLA 4, NO. 8 UTAH 0
Defending Pac-12 Champions and No. 1 seed UCLA blanked No. 8 Utah, 4-0, without dropping a set to claim a spot in the semifinals. The Bruins have reached at least the finals match every year but one (2015) in the history of the men’s team tournament and have won the event four times (2018, 2016, 2014, 2013). The quarterfinals victory also marked a milestone for head coach Billy Martin, who became the winningest coach in UCLA tennis history with 593 wins.
UCLA’s Govind Nanda and Connor Rapp wrapped up the doubles point with a 6-3 win over Dan Little and Azat Hankuliyev on court two. Shortly after, Keegan Smith, Nanda and Ben Goldberg supplied three singles wins to secure the team victory. Goldberg provided the clincher at court four, defeating Russell Benkaim of Utah, 6-4, 6-0.
NO. 2 USC 4, NO. 7 WASHINGTON 0
No. 2 seed USC punched its ticket to the semifinals with a 4-0 takedown of No. 7 Washington. Similar to its crosstown rival UCLA, the Trojans have reached at least the finals match in the men’s bracket all but one year (2016) and have won the event three times, twice as the No. 2 seed (2012, 2015) and once as the No. 3 seed (2017).
Jack Jaede and Laurens Verboven secured the doubles point with a 6-1 result over UW’s Kawika Lam and Enzo Sommer on court two. Tanner Smith and Daniel Cukierman notched the next two points on courts six and two, respectively. Jake Sands clinched the team win at court five with a 6-4, 6-1 victory over Sebsatian Hawken.
NO. 3 STANFORD 4, NO. 6 ARIZONA 3
Stanford and Arizona made sure the last match of the day was certainly not the least, providing a thriller under the lights as the Cardinal outlasted the Wildcats, 4-3. The match came down to the final match on court three with a back-and-forth three-set battle between William Genesen of Stanford and Igor Karpovets of Arizona, with Genesen clinching the Cardinal’s spot in the semifinals with a 2-6, 6-4, 6-4 result.
Stanford kicked off the match by earning the doubles point, with the decider coming from Alexandre Rotsaert and Sangeet Sridhar over Jonas Maier and Stewart Block of Arizona, 6-4. After UA’s Carlos Hassey tied things up at 3-3 with a 6-7 (5), 6-2, 6-4 result on court five, all eyes were on court three with Genesen and Karpovets. The Cardinal’s Genesen sealed the deal and sent Stanford to its fifth-straight Pac-12 semifinals match.
The men’s semifinals kick off tomorrow at 1 p.m. PT at Libbey Court with No. 1 UCLA versus No. 4 California, followed by No. 2 USC battling No. 3 Stanford at approximately 4 p.m. PT. Both matches will be broadcast on Pac-12 Networks and will be available to stream on the Pac-12 Now app.
2019 PAC-12 MEN'S TENNIS CHAMPIONSHIP
Quarterfinals // Thurs., April 25, 2019 // Libbey
No. 3 Stanford 4, No. 6 Arizona 3
1. Sameer Kumar/Timothy Sah, STAN def. Jonas Ziverts/Igor Karpovets, ARIZ - 6-1
2. Jack Barber/Axel Geller STAN v. Filip Malbasic/Alejandro Reguant, ARIZ - 6-6, 0-2 unf.
3. Alexandre Rotsaert/Sangeet Sridhar, STAN def. Jonas Maier/Stewart Block, ARIZ - 6-4
Order of finish: 1, 3
1. Jonas Ziverts, ARIZ def. Axel Geller, STAN - 6-1, 7-5
2. Alexandre Rotsaert, STAN def. Filip Malbasic, ARIZ - 6-3, 6-4
3. William Genesen, STAN def. Igor Karpovets, ARIZ - 2-6, 6-4, 6-4
4. Alejandro Reguant, ARIZ def. Sameer Kumar, STAN - 7-5, 6-2
5. Carlos Hassey, ARIZ def. Timothy Sah, STAN - 6-7 (5), 6-2, 6-4
6. Sangeet Sridhar, STAN def. Jonas Maier, ARIZ - 6-4, 6-3
Order of finish: 1, 6, 2, 4, 5, 3
No. 2 USC 4, No. 7 Washington 0
1. Brandon Holt/Riley Smith, USC v. Jack Davis/Piers Foley, WASH - 4-2 unf.
2. Jack Jaede/ Laurens Verboven, USC def. Kawika Lam/Enzo Sommer, WASH - 6-1
3. Daniel Cukierman/Tanner Smith, USC def. Ewen Lumsden/Adam Torocsik, WASH - 6-0
Order of finish: 3, 2
1. Brandon Holt, USC v. Enzo Sommer, WASH - 6-4, 4-3 unf.
2. Daniel Cukierman, USC def. Jack Davis, WASH - 6-3, 6-1
3. Laurens Verboven, USC v. Piers Foley, WASH - 6-4, 5-2 unf.
4. Logan Smith, USC v. Ewen Lumsden, WASH - 6-1, 2-6 unf.
5. Jake Sands, USC def. Sebsatian Hawken, WASH - 6-4, 6-1
6. Tanner Smith, USC def. Adam Torocsik, WASH - 6-3, 6-1
Order of finish: 6, 2, 5
No. 1 UCLA 4, No. 8 Utah 0
1. Maxime Cressy/Keegan Smith, UCLA def. David Micevski/Slava Shainyan, UTAH - 6-1
2. Govind Nanda/Connor Rapp, UCLA def. Dan Little/Azat Hankuliyev, UTAH - 6-3
3. Bryce Pereira/Patrick Zahraj, UCLA v. Joe Woolley/Russell Benkaim, UTAH - 5-4 unf.
Order of finish: 1, 2
1. Maxime Cressy, UCLA def. Dan Little, UTAH - 7-6 (2), 0-1 unf.
2. Keegan Smith, UCLA def. David Micevski, UTAH - 6-1, 6-1
3. Govind Nanda, UCLA def. Slava Shainyan, UTAH - 6-0, 6-1
4. Ben Goldberg, UCLA def. Russell Benkaim, UTAH - 6-4, 6-0
5. Eric Hahn, UCLA v. Mathias Gavelin, UTAH - 7-5, 1-1 unf.
6. Roscoe Bellamy, UCLA v. Joe Woolley, UTAH - 7-6 (5), 3-2 unf.
Order of finish: 2, 3, 4
No. 4 California 4, No. 5 Arizona State 1
1. Jacob Brumm/Yuta Kikuchi, CAL def. Dominik Kellovsky/Nathan Ponwith, ASU - 6-0
2. Tim Ruehl/Andrea Bolla, ASU vs. Paul Barretto/Can Kaya, CAL - 5-3 unf.
3. Ben Draper/Jack Molloy, CAL def. Justin Roberts/Makey Rakotomalala - 6-1
Order of finish: 1, 3
1. Yuta Kikuchi, CAL def. Nathan Ponwith, ASU - 6-2, 4-6, 6-3
2. Jack Molloy, CAL def. Dominik Kellovsky, ASU - 6-3, 6-4
3. Justin Roberts, ASU def. Paul Barretto, CAL - 6-0, 6-4
4. Tim Ruehl, ASU v. Ben Draper, CAL - 6-7 (6), 6-6 (6-5) unf.
5. Andrea Bolla, ASU v. Jacob Brumm, CAL - 4-6, 6-1, 4-3 unf.
6. Bjorn Hoffmann, CAL def. Makey Rakotomalala, ASU - 6-3, 6-3
Order of finish: 3, 6, 2, 1
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 1:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 3:00pm PTLive