Pac-12 announces baseball players of the week
SAN FRANCISCO - The Pac-12 Conference office announced today that STANFORD’s Will Matthiessen was named Pac-12 Player of the Week and UCLA’s Ryan Garcia was tabbed Pac-12 Pitcher of the Week.
Pac-12 Baseball Player of the Week: Will Matthiessen, Jr., RHP/INF, Stanford (West Linn, Ore.)
5 GP, .500 AVG, 3 HR, 5 RBI, 8 R, .950 SLG, 1 GS, 5.0 IP, 5 K, 1-0
• The Cardinal’s dual-threat pitcher and infielder led No. 3 Stanford to a 4-1 week with both his bat and his arm, including a Conference series win over Arizona and two midweek non-conference victories.
• Helped keep Stanford at the top of the Pac-12 standings by going 10-for-20 and knocking in at least one RBI in 4-of-5 games.
• Notched his team-leading 15th multi-hit game of the season and fifth three-hit appearance in the 13-3 victory over Arizona on Saturday.
• In addition to going 3-for-5 with three runs and a homer in Saturday’s game, he also started and earned his fourth win of the year on the mound. In 5.0 innings pitched, allowed just two earned runs on five hits with five strikeouts.
• Has 10 hits in four games as the Cardinal’s starting pitcher.
• The junior majoring in management science and engineering was a Pac-12 All-Academic honorable mention selection last season. He earns his second-career Pac-12 Player of the Week honor, winning his first last year on May 7. It marks the Cardinal’s second-straight weekly honor and 81st all-time.
Pac-12 Baseball Pitcher of the Week: Ryan Garcia, Jr., RHP, UCLA (Sierra Madre, Calif.)
1 GS, 1-0, 1 CG, 9.0 IP, 14 K, 2 H, 1 BB, 0.00 ERA
• Threw a complete-game two-hit shutout against Utah on Friday night, earning his fifth win of the year with a 5-0 victory. First complete game shutout by a Bruin since Griffin Canning in 2017.
• Struck out a career-high 14 batters, most by a Pac-12 pitcher this season and most by a UCLA pitcher since 2011.
• Allowed just three baserunners all night, none of which advanced past first base. Retired the first eight and final 11 batters of the game.
• Lowered his ERA to 1.10, best in the league and fourth-best in the country. Has struck out at least 10 batters in three of his last four starts.
• Named one of Collegiate Baseball’s national players of the week.
• With his third Pac-12 Pitcher of the Week honor this season, becomes the first UCLA pitcher to win three weekly awards in one season since Trevor Bauer in 2011. Bauer holds the Pac-12 record for most weekly pitching honors in one season with six in 2011. It marks the Bruins’ fourth pitcher of the week honor in the last seven weeks and their 76th all-time.
Player of the Week: Adley Rutschman, OREGON STATE; Michael Toglia, UCLA; CJ Stubbs, USC; Ramon Bramasco, WASHINGTON.
Pitcher of the Week: Cullen Kafka, OREGON; Grant Gambrell, OREGON STATE; Jack Little, STANFORD; Chris Clarke, USC; Chris Micheles, WASHINGTON; Tyson Guerrero, WASHINGTON STATE.
2019 PAC-12 BASEBALL PLAYERS OF THE WEEK