Pac-12 announces Softball Players of the Week
PLAYER OF THE WEEK: Morgan Howe, Sr., OF, Arizona State (Poway, Calif.)
3 GP, 7 hits, 3 2B, 2 HR, 9 RBIs, 5 PO, .700 AVG, 1.600 SLG
• Recorded a stellar weekend, going 7-for-10 at the plate with four runs, three doubles and a pair of home runs to help Arizona State sweep Stanford (10-4, 7-4, 10-5) and clinch its third Pac-12 series win.
• Sparked the Sun Devils’ comeback victory on Friday with an RBI double to the wall then hit her 11th home run of the season, moving ASU into third in home runs per game (1.69) nationally.
• Hit her second grand slam of the season in the series finale, went 2-for-3 at the plate and tallied a team-high five RBIs to complete the sweep.
• The 2018 All-Pac-12 member finished the weekend with a 1.600 slugging percentage and leads the Conference in on base percentage this season (.500).
• Carries a 3.69 grade-point average as a criminology and criminal justice major and earns her first-career Pac-12 Player of the Week honor, marking ASU’s 91st all-time nod.
PITCHER OF THE WEEK: Mariah Mazon, So., P, Oregon State (Tulare, Calif.,)
3 GP, 3 wins, 15.2 IP, 8 K, 2.23 ERA
• Picked up three victories in the Civil War last week, leading Oregon State to its first series sweep over Oregon (8-0, 8-6, 12-8) since 2006.
• Pitched a complete game shutout on Friday, striking out four batters in five innings of work to earn her fourth shutout of the season.
• The two-time All-Pac-12 selection demonstrated consistency throughout the weekend, earning her second win of the series and marking her 18th career complete game on Saturday.
• Pursuing a degree in psychology with a minor in Spanish, the sophomore ranks second in the league in innings pitched (160.0) and sixth in wins (15).
• Collects first-career Pac-12 Pitcher of the Week honor, marking Oregon State’s 43rd all-time award.
FRESHMAN OF THE WEEK: Maia Rader, Fr., INF, Oregon State (Orangevale, Calif.
3 GP, 6 hits, 3 2B, 4 RBI, .750 AVG, .667 OPB, 8 ast., .857 fpct
• Came up clutch at the end of the order in Oregon State’s series sweep over Oregon (8-0, 8-6, 12-8), batting ninth all weekend while finishing with six hits and four RBIs off eight at bats.
• Went 1-for-1 with two RBIs in the second inning to help Oregon State open the series with an 8-0 shutout.
• Matched her season-high three hits on Saturday, leading off the second inning with a single into right center and cracked a doubled down the line before stealing third base in the top of the fifth.
• On the defensive side, made impressive fielding plays all series long, collecting eight assists and four putouts for an .857 fielding percentage.
• Capped off the weekend with two RBIs and one run scored in the series finale to earn her first Pac-12 Freshman of the Week honor.
Player: Shelby Weeks, OSU; Briana Perez, UCLA.
Pitcher: Rachel Garcia, UCLA; Taran Alvelo, WASH.
Freshman: Yannira Acuna, ASU, Colleen Sullivan, UCLA.
2019 PAC-12 SOFTBALL PLAYERS OF THE WEEK