Pac-12 announces baseball players of the week
SAN FRANCISCO - The Pac-12 Conference office announced today that ARIZONA’s Nick Quintana was named Pac-12 Player of the Week and UCLA’s Jack Ralston was tabbed Pac-12 Pitcher of the Week.
Pac-12 Baseball Player of the Week: Nick Quintana, Jr., INF, Arizona (Las Vegas, Nev.)
4 GP, .476 AVG, .810 SLG, 4 2B, 1 HR, 11 RBI, 9 R, 3 BB, 5 XBH
• Led the Wildcats’ hot bats to a 3-1 weekend, including a pivotal Conference sweep over Oregon. Arizona scored 54 runs against the Ducks with Quintana contributing to 20 of them.
• In the victory on Saturday, the Wildcats were down three runs in the bottom of the seventh before Quintana hit a three-run shot to tie the game and set the stage for a comeback 9-8 win. It was his team-leading 11th home run of the season.
• Arizona scored 28 runs in the series finale, the most runs by a Pac-12 team this season, and he provided a season-high five RBI. His 57 RBI on the season leads the league and is the 15th-most in the nation.
• The junior earns his second-career Pac-12 Player of the Week nod, previously winning once as a freshman, and the first of the season for UA. It marks the 68th weekly honor for the Wildcats.
Pac-12 Baseball Pitcher of the Week: Jack Ralston, R-Jr., RHP, UCLA (Newhall, Calif.)
1 GS, 1-0, 7.0 IP, 0.00 ERA, 7 K, 3 H, 1 BB
• Threw seven shutout innings to lead No. 1 UCLA to an 18-3 series-clinching win over No. 20 Arizona State.
• Surrendered just three hits to a lethal Sun Devil offense that ranks in the top 10 nationally in batting average, home runs, scoring and slugging percentage.
• Retired 17-consecutive batters between the second and seventh innings, one-upping his previous team-best streak of 14 retired batters he set last week against Utah. Did not allow a baserunner from the third to the sixth inning.
• Moved to 8-0 on the year, tying for the Conference lead in wins, and lowered his ERA to 2.57.
• The junior sociology major earns his first-career Pac-12 Pitcher of the Week honor. It marks the Bruins’ fifth pitcher of the week honor in the last eight weeks, and second-straight, and their 77th all-time nod.
Player of the Week: Noah Cardenas, UCLA; CJ Stubbs, USC; Mason Cerrillo, WASHINGTON; Tyson Guerrero, WASHINGTON STATE.
Pitcher of the Week: Vince Vannelle, Arizona; Kyle Hurt, USC; Davis Baillie, WASHINGTON STATE.
2019 PAC-12 BASEBALL PLAYERS OF THE WEEK