Pac-12 announces Softball Players of the Week
PLAYER OF THE WEEK: Sami Reynolds, Fr., OF, Washington (Snohomish, Wash.)
3 GP, 4 hits, 1 2B, 4 RBIs, .400 AVG, .500 SLG
• The freshman hitter drove in four runs to lead No. 3 Washington to a weekend sweep over No. 4 Arizona (2-1, 3-1, 7-4) and improve to 42-7 overall and 17-4 in Conference action heading into the regular-season finale.
• Had a crucial performance in Washington’s pivotal series that kept its Pac-12 title hunt alive by accounting for a third of the Huskies’ 12 runs against Arizona.
• On Sunday, hit a double in the first inning and later scored to give the Huskies a 1-0 lead before driving in two runs with a single into centerfield for a 3-1 victory.
• Riding a four-game hit streak, including hits in nine of her last ten outings and has tallied multiple RBIs in three of the last four games.
• Capped Washington’s comeback-win with a line drive to center for pair of RBIs in the fourth inning to complete the sweep on Sunday.
The pre-science major picks up her first Pac-12 Player of the Week nod and earns Washington’s fifth weekly award this season.
PITCHER OF THE WEEK: Taran Alvelo, Sr., P, Washington (Carroll, Ohio)
3 GP, 3 wins, 12.1 IP, 18 K, 2 BB 0.57 ERA
• Threw 18 strikeouts (0.57 ERA) and collected her Conference-leading 22nd win this year and is now undefeated in six consecutive appearances against the Wildcats.
• Stifled Arizona’s top-10 nationally ranked scoring offense and batting average after allowing one run in 12.1 innings to clinch the Huskies’ sixth-consecutive series win (2-1, 3-1, 7-4).
• The clutch reliever finished game one with her second save of the year after striking out the only batter she faced with three pitches in a narrow 2-1 victory.
• Notched her 12th double-digit strikeout game this season and second-straight start with at least 10 strikeouts to rank fourth nationally in strikeouts per seven innings (10.5).
• Surrendered a solo home run on Saturday then retired seven-straight batters, including striking out the side in the sixth inning.
• Broke her single-season career-high with 244 strikeouts, including 36 in her last 23.1 innings of work, for the eighth-most in the country.
• Graduated this winter with a degree in American Ethnic Studies and collects her sixth career Pac-12 Pitcher of the Week honor for Washington’s 109th all-time weekly nod.
FRESHMAN OF THE WEEK: Rachel Cid, Fr., IF, Oregon (Tracy, Calif.)
3 GP, 6 hits, 2 2B, 5 RBI, .750 AVG, .818 OPB, 7 ast., .857 fpct
• Hit two doubles and recorded five RBIs with a .750 batting average in Oregon’s series against Utah (3-4, 9-4, 3-11) last week.
• Went a perfect 4-for-4 with a pair of doubles and matched her season-high four RBIs on Saturday, recording her first career four-hit game in the
Ducks’ 9-4 victory.
• The human physiology major drew three walks on the weekend, earning an impressive .818 on base percentage.
• Earns her second Pac-12 Freshman of the Week honor this season (Feb. 12) and marks the Ducks’ seventh all-time rookie nod.
Player: DeNae Chatman, ASU; Rachel Cid, ORE; Hannah Howell, STAN; Bubba Nickles UCLA; Alyssa Barrera, UTAH.
Pitcher: Carolyn Lee, STAN; Rachel Garcia, UCLA; Sydney Sandez, UTAH.
Freshman: Emily Schultz, STAN; Megan Faraimo, UCLA; Sydney Sandez, UTAH; Silentrain Espinoza, WASH.
2019 PAC-12 SOFTBALL PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
TOMORROW | 11:30am PTLive
TOMORROW | 3:00pm PTLive