Pac-12 announces baseball players of the week
SAN FRANCISCO - The Pac-12 Conference office announced today that UCLA’s Garrett Mitchell was named Pac-12 Player of the Week and CALIFORNIA’s Jared Horn was tabbed Pac-12 Pitcher of the Week.
Pac-12 Baseball Player of the Week: Garrett Mitchell, So., OF, UCLA (Orange, Calif.)
4 GP, .579 AVG, .947 SLG, 4 RBI, 4 XBH, 1 HR, 2 BB, 4 SB
• Notched multiple hits in each of No. 1 UCLA’s four wins on the week, including a league sweep of Washington State to move the Bruins into a tie for first in the Pac-12 standings.
• Provided three extra base hits and a pivotal run in UCLA’s 2-1 non-conference win over Long Beach State.
• Finished the WSU series with four-hits, two-RBI and two stolen bases to give UCLA the 13-10 victory.
• Leads the top-ranked Bruins in batting average (.362), hits (72), runs (46) and triples (5).
• The sophomore earns his first-career Pac-12 Player of the Week nod and the 64th all-time for the Bruins. A Bruin has won either Pac-12 Player or Pitcher of the Week in six of the last nine weeks.
Pac-12 Baseball Pitcher of the Week: Jared Horn, Jr., RHP, California (Napa, Calif.)
1 GS, 1-0, 7.0 IP, 0.00 ERA, 6 K, 3 H
• Shut down No. 3 Stanford in Saturday’s 18-2 victory, throwing seven scoreless innings and allowing just three hits.
• Did not allow a hit until the fifth inning and no runner advanced past first base until the seventh inning.
• Marked his fifth win in his last six starts, with two of those wins coming over top-five ranked Conference opponents (No. 1 UCLA, Apr. 19, No. 3 Stanford, May 11).
• Earned Cal’s fourth win over a top-10 team this season with a 16 run margin of victory against the Cardinal, the Golden Bear’s largest victory over their Bay Area rival since 2003.
• Saturday’s win lowered his ERA to 1.79 for the season, second-best in the Pac-12 and 15th-best in the nation.
• The junior studying sociology earns his second-career Pac-12 Pitcher of the Week honor, previously winning his first on April 22. This is the Golden Bears’ 36th all-time nod.
Player of the Week: Cameron Cannon, ARIZONA; Cameron Eden, CALIFORNIA; Spencer Steer, OREGON; Beau Philip, OREGON STATE; Duke Kinamon, STANFORD; Nick Kahle, WASHINGTON.
Pitcher of the Week: Randy Labaut, ARIZONA; Ryne Nelson, OREGON; Bryce Fehmel, OREGON STATE; Erik Miller, STANFORD; Jack Ralston, UCLA; Stevie Emanuels, WASHINGTON.
2019 PAC-12 BASEBALL PLAYERS OF THE WEEK