Pac-12 announces Softball Players of the Week
PLAYER OF THE WEEK: Alyssa Palomino, Jr., OF, Arizona (Mission Viejo, Calif.)
3 GP, 3 hits, 1 HR, 2 RBIs, .375 AVG, .750 SLG
• Recorded three hits and a pair of RBIs for a .375 batting average last week to lead Arizona to its first series win over No. 3 UCLA since 2011 (5-3, 4-5, 3-1).
• Opened the series with an outstanding performance, including a two-run homer that proved to be the game-winner in the top of the seventh inning.
• Was equally impressive in the field, making a diving catch on the warning track to help stop the Bruins’ late push and lock down a 5-3 victory for the Wildcats.
• Scored three runs and recorded a .500 on base percentage against UCLA’s pitching talents that rank in the top-5 nationally in ERA and strikeout-to-walk ratio.
• Picks up her first-career Pac-12 Player of the Week nod for Arizona’s 170th all-time weekly honor.
PITCHER OF THE WEEK: Gabbie Plain, So., P, Washington (Harrington Park, Australia)
2 wins, 7.1 IP, 13 K, 0 BB 0.00 ERA
• Dominated the mound last week, throwing two shutouts and a complete game against Stanford (8-0, 3-0) to help Washington win a share of the Pac-12 softball title, marking its first Conference crown since 2010.
• The Huskies needed all three wins to remain in contention for the league title and Plain delivered in the circle, throwing her 30th career complete game and ninth shutout of the season with 13 strikeouts.
• Earned her fourth save of the year for the second-most in the Pac-12, after tossing four strikeouts in 2.1 scoreless innings to become Pac-12 Co-Champions on Saturday.
• On Friday, struck out the side in the first inning and then retired nine-straight batters while allowing only two base runners for Washington’s seventh Pac-12 series victory.
• Has not walked a batter in three-straight appearances and surpassed her strikeout total from last year, reaching 194 on the season to rank 12th nationally in strikeout-to-walk ratio (6.26).
• The Pre-Science major was recently named CoSIDA Academic All-District and collects her third Pac-12 Pitcher of the Week honor this season (March 12, April 15) for Washington’s 110th all-time weekly nod.
FRESHMAN OF THE WEEK: Sami Reynolds, Fr., OF, Washington (Snohomish, Wash.)
3 GP, 5 hits, 1 HR, 2 2B, 6 RBI, .500 AVG, 1.000 SLG
Guided Washington to its fourth all-time Pac-12 title after defeating Stanford (5-2, 8-0, 3-0) for its sixth Conference series-sweep this year.
• Became the first Husky freshman in over a decade with three extra-base hits in single game, including a two-run homer, in Washington’s championship-clinching win on Saturday.
• Has connected at the plate consistency in the stretch run with hits in six of last seven games, including six multi-RBI games in the last ten.
• First Pac-12 Freshman of the Week honor, but collects back-to-back weekly Conference honors after being tabbed Pac-12 Player of the Week (May 6).
Player: Jade Gortarez, ASU; Shelby Weeks, OSU; Montana Dixon, STAN; Bubba Nickles, UCLA; Kaija Gibson, WASH.
Pitcher: Gina Snyder, ARIZ; Samantha Mejia, ASU; Mariah Mazon, OSU; Holly Azevedo, UCLA.
Freshman: Frankie Hammoude, OSU; Megan Faraimo, UCLA.
2019 PAC-12 SOFTBALL PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
TOMORROW | 12:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 2:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 4:00pm PTLive