Ranked showdown tips off Week 2 of Pac-12 Men's Basketball league play
#PAC12HOOPS STARTING FIVE:
3 x NPOY - Several national media outlets have revealed their National Player of the Year midseason watch lists, with three Pac-12 standouts in contention highlighted by OREGON's Payton Pritchard among the top-3 (Stadium - 2nd; The Athletic - 3rd).
• WASHINGTON’s Isaiah Stewart (The Athletic - T-10th; Stadium - 12th) and OREGON STATE’s Tres Tinkle (Stadium - 19th) are also among Pac-12 players receiving NPOY consideration.
• All three appeared on 3-of-4 major preseason NPOY watch lists (Wooden, Naismith, Robertson, NABC).
6 x Top 50 - As of Jan. 7, the Pac-12 boasts six teams ranked inside the top 50 of the NCAA Evaluation Tool (NET) - tied for the second-most in the nation.
• The Pac-12 also has nine top-75 NET teams, tied for the second-most nationally.
9 x 10 - The Pac-12 is 1-of-3 conferences in the country with a national-best nine teams with double-digit victories (Big East, Big Ten).
• It equals the earliest point in a season the Conference had nine teams reach double-digit victories, along with the conclusion of the first league week of the 2015-16 campaign.
#9 vs. #24 - The second week of Pac-12 Conference play again will feature 10 games, again highlighted by a marquee Thursday night matchup as #9 OREGON hosts #24 ARIZONA on ESPN.
• It will mark the first Conference clash of AP Top 25 teams since Feb. 15, 2018 (#17 Arizona 77, #25 Arizona State 70).
• It’s also the first ranked matchup in the series since the seventh-ranked Wildcats edged the fifth-ranked Ducks, 83-80, in the 2017 Pac-12 Tournament title game.
13.1 - Through 10 league games as of Jan. 7, the average scoring margin is 13.1 points.
• 5 games have been decided by single digits
• 1 game has been decided by one possession (3 pts. or less)
• 1 overtime game (1 total OT period)
ROAD SWEEPS: As the opening week of Conference play illustrated, road sweeps have been difficult to come by - just 52 in total in 388 tries - since the Pac-12 expanded prior to the 2011-12 season.
ARIZ/ASU - swept 5 times, most recently by WSU in 2018-19.
ORE/OSU - swept 6 times, most recently by WASH in 2018-19.
COLO/UTAH - swept 7 times, most recently by OSU in 2018-19.
UCLA/USC - swept 9 times, most recently by COLO in 2018-19.
CAL/STAN - swept 9 times, most recently by UTAH in 2018-19.
WASH/WSU - swept 16 times, most recently by ORE in 2018-19.
A school-by-school total of road sweeps in the Pac-12 era:
ARIZ - 1
ORE - 10
UTAH - 7
CAL - 6
UCLA, WASH - 4
USC - 3
COLO - 2
OSU, STAN, WSU - 1
ASU - 0
NON-CONFERENCE REBOUND: The Pac-12 enjoyed one of its best non-conference seasons in recent history in 2019-20.
• .739 Division I non-conference win percentage, best for the league since 2015-16.
• Seven teams with 10+ non-conference wins, tied for the most nationally (Big East)
• 11-8 non-conference record (.579) in true road games, the best mark by percentage among major conferences.
PAYTON’S PLACE: OREGON senior guard Payton Pritchard is the only player in the country averaging at least 18 points (18.7 ppg) on 50 percent (50% FG) shooting along with five assists (5.9 apg) and four rebounds (4.4 rpg).
• Pritchard is 24 assists and 18 rebounds shy of becoming the first player in Conference history with 1,500 points, 600 assists and 500 rebounds in a career.
TRES’ RACE TO 2,000: OREGON STATE senior forward Tres Tinkle (1,937 points, 23rd) is 63 points shy of becoming the 16th member of the Conference’s 2,000-point club. Tinkle is also tied for 81st on the Conference’s career rebounds list (767).
• Tinkle is on pace to become only the fifth member of the league’s 2,000-point, 900-rebound club (Lew Alcindor-UCLA, Don MacLean-UCLA, Adam Keefe-STAN, Chris Welp-WASH).
CONFERENCE STANDINGS (Expanded Standings)
|Teams||Pac-12 Record||Overall Record|
UPCOMING SCHEDULE (All Time Pacific - Expanded Schedule)
|Thursday, Jan. 9||TV||Time|
|#24 Arizona at #9 Oregon||ESPN||6:00 p.m. PT|
|Washington at Stanford||FS1||6:00 p.m. PT|
|Washington State at California||PAC12||7:30 p.m. PT|
|Arizona State at Oregon State||ESPNU||8:00 p.m. PT|
|Saturday, Jan. 11|
|Washington State at Stanford||PAC12||3:00 p.m. PT|
|Washington at California||PAC12||5:00 p.m. PT|
|USC at UCLA||ESPN2||7:00 p.m. PT|
|Arizona State at #9 Oregon||PAC12||7:30 p.m. PT|
|Sunday, Jan. 12|
|Utah at #25 Colorado||ESPNU||3:00 p.m. PT|
|#24 Arizona at Oregon State||FS1||7:00 p.m. PT|
PAC-12 PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
- Arizona Men's Basketball
- Arizona State Men's Basketball
- California Men's Basketball
- Colorado Men's Basketball
- Oregon Men's Basketball
- Oregon State Men's Basketball
- Stanford Men's Basketball
- UCLA Men's Basketball
- USC Men's Basketball
- Utah Men's Basketball
- Washington Men's Basketball
- Washington State Men's Basketball
- Arizona State
- Oregon State
- Washington State
- Men's Basketball
- Pac-12 Conference
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 5:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive