Pac-12 announces women's basketball players of the week
PLAYER OF THE WEEK: Ja'Tavia Tapley, Sr., F, ARIZONA STATE (Jacksonville, Fla.)
2 GP, 15.0 ppg, 6.0 rpg, 12-25 (.480) pct
• In Arizona State's upset wins over then-No. 2 Oregon (72-66) and then-No. 3 Oregon State (55-47), led the Sun Devils in points (15.0), rebounds (6.0 rpg) and field goal percentage (48.0 pct).
• ASU is the first unranked team in NCAA Division I history to defeat AP top-five opponents in consecutive games.
• Contributed to ASU's defensive effort that held Oregon's top-ranked scoring offense more than 23 points below its previous scoring average of 89.3 points.
• Led ASU with game-high 14 points in Sunday's win over OSU, helping to hold OSU to its lowest point total of the season.
• First player of the week honor for Tapley this season and ASU's 39th all-time player of the week.
Also nominated: Aari McDonald, ARIZ; Emma Clarke, COLO; Sabrina Ionescu, ORE; Mikayla Pivec, OSU; Haley Jones, STAN; Michaela Onyenw, UCLA; Kayla Overbeck, USC; Daneesha Provo, Utah; Borislava Hristova, WSU.
FRESHMAN OF THE WEEK: Haley Jones, Fr., G, STANFORD (Santa Cruz, Calif.)
2 GP, 19.0 ppg, 16-25 pct (.640), 5-8 ft (.625), 3.0 apg
• First Stanford student-athlete since Nicole Powell in 2001 to finish in double-figure scoring in their first four conference games, leading the Cardinal to a sweep of California last week (73-40, 79-65).
• Tied for team lead in scoring and tied career-high in points (21) in Sunday's win over Cal.
• Hit first 3-pointer since Nov. 29 against the Golden Bears in Sunday's victory.
• Third weekly freshman honor for Jones and Stanford's 12th all-time freshman of the week.
Also nominated: Jaylyn Sherrod, COLO; Jaz Shelley, ORE; Taylor Jones, OSU; Charisma Osbourne, UCLA; Endiya Rogers, USC.