Pac-12 announces tennis players of the week
Pac-12 Men’s Tennis Player of the Week: Daniel Cukierman, Jr., USC (Tel Aviv, Israel)
• Won all four doubles matches and four singles matches to help No. 1 USC (ITA) win the 2020 ITA National Team Indoor Championship for the fourth time in program history and first time since 2012.
• Recorded a tiebreak win with partner Riley Smith over No. 5 North Carolina’s pair William Blumberg and Brian Cernoch (7-6) to earn the Trojans’ doubles point, and took down Benjamin Sigouin (6-2, 6-1) in singles competition to give USC the lead.
• Earned a hard-fought comeback win with Smith (1-6, 7-5, 7-6) over the fourth-ranked doubles pair Andrew Fenty and Kristofer Siimar of Michigan, clinching the semifinal-match victory over No. 13 Wolverines.
• Had the match-clinching singles win in comebacks versus No. 11 TCU (7-5, 4-6, 6-1) to advance the Trojans to the semifinals.
• Cuckierman earns his second player of the week honor this season, USC’s 56th all-time men’s weekly award.
ALSO NOMINATED: Alexandre Rotsaert, STAN.
Pac-12 Women’s Tennis Player of the Week: Natsuho Arakawa, Sr., Washington (Tokyo, Japan)
• Posted a perfect 4-0 record in dual meets last week as Washington split the weekend topping Kansas State (4-1) and falling to Kansas (2-5).
• Upset the 28th-ranked Jayhawk pair Malkia Ngounoue and Luniuska Delgado (6-2) with partner Vanessa Wong.
• Added a doubles win over Wildcats Maria Linares and Karine-Marion Job with Wong, maintaining her perfect 6-0 doubles record.
• Defeated Kansas State’s Anna Turco (6-1, 7-5) and No. 113 Malkia Ngounoue of Kansas (6-4, 7-6) in singles play, bringing her season-singles record to 11-0 and extending a 14-straight match win streak dating back to fall last season.
• Arakawa is currently 3-1 against ranked opponents this season.
• The senior was named women’s tennis player of the week for the first time this season, and earns Washington’s 12 award all-time.
ALSO NOMINATED: Abby Amos, ARIZ; Madison Tattini, UTAH.
2020 PAC-12 TENNIS PLAYERS OF THE WEEK