Pac-12 announces softball players of the week
PLAYER OF THE WEEK: Haley Cruse, Sr., OF, Oregon (San Diego, Calif.)
5 GP, 18 AB, 12 hits, 10 runs, 6 RBI, .667 AVG, .684 OBP
• Led then-No. 15 Oregon to five wins last weekend, tying for the lead among all players at the 29-team Mary Nutter Classic with a .667 batting average. Helped Oregon extend its perfect record to 14-0, featuring a 6-3 win over then-No. 25 Northwestern.
• Finished the weekend as the sole leader in OBP with a .684 on-base percentage and led the tournament in hits and runs scored.
• Scored or drove in 16 of Oregon's 39 runs and led off each of the first four games of the weekend with a base hit, coming around to score three of those times.
• Went 7-for-12 with five RBIs, two doubles, a triple and five runs scored in Oregon's three games against Power 5 opponents (Mississippi State, 7-2; Notre Dame, 5-1; Northwestern).
• First weekly player honor for Cruse this season and Oregon's second in back-to-back weeks.
PITCHER OF THE WEEK: Megan Faraimo, So., P, UCLA (Vista, Calif.)
3 app, 3 wins, 19.2 IP, 36 K, 0.71 ERA
• Helped then-No. 1 UCLA extend its prefect record to 15-0, recording three wins at the Mary Nutter Classic, including a 5-4 win over then-No. 7 Florida.
• The winner of three of UCLA's four games, striking out 36 and limiting opponents to a .094 batting average.
• Had double-digits in strikeouts in all three games, including 10 in a three-hit complete game win over Texas A&M (9-1) on Friday.
• Had 16 Ks over seven innings in a 3-1 win over Wisconsin. Held the Badgers, who would go on to beat then-No. 3 Oklahoma, to two-hits in a shutout ballgame.
• Second weekly pitching honor for Faraimo this season and UCLA's second.
FRESHMAN OF THE WEEK: Kelley Lynch, Fr., P/1B, Washington (Newnan, Georgia)
5 GP, .333 avg, 5 hits, 3 HR, 4 RBI ; 2 app, 8.2 IP, 8 K
• Helped then-No. 2 Washington to five wins at the Mary Nutter Classic, including ranked wins over then-No. 3 Oklahoma (12-2) and then-No. 25 Northwestern (3-2).
• Hit two walkoff home runs in Washington’s wins against Wisconsin (5-3) and Northwestern. Already has the most home runs by a Husky freshman since Noelle Hee's seven in 2018 and is the first Husky ever with multiple walkoff home runs in the same season.
• Had a six-game extra-base hit streak and six-game RBI streak. First Husky freshman since Taylor Van Zee in 2015 with double-digit extra-base hits before the beginning of Pac-12 play.
• As a pitcher has earned wins against top-talent in Oklahoma and then-No. 5 Florida State, and struck out four in a row against Northwestern.
• Second weekly freshman honor for Lynch, including in back-to-back weeks.
Player: Makena Smith, CAL; Missy Nunes, OSU; Teaghan Cowles, STAN; Jenavee Peres, UCLA; Alyssa Barrera, UTAH; Baylee Klingler, WASH.
Pitcher: Chloe Romero, CAL; Brooke Yanez, ORE; Tatum Boyd, STAN; Sydney Sandez, UTAH; Pat Moore, WASH.
Freshman: Sharlize Palacios, ARIZ; Jazmine Hill, ASU; Terra McGowan, ORE; Xiao Gin, OSU; Tatum Boyd, STAN; Seneca Curo, UCLA; Madi Jacobus, UTAH.
2020 PAC-12 SOFTBALL PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
Player of the Week
Pitcher of the Week
Freshman of the Week
|Feb. 25||Haley Cruse, ORE||Megan Faraimo, UCLA||Kelley Lynch, WASH|
- Pac-12.com -