Day 2 — 2020 Pac-12 Women's Swimming and Diving, Men's Diving Championships
Day 2 of the 2020 Pac-12 Women’s Swimming and Diving Championships included the women’s 1-meter diving event, 500-yard freestyle, 200-yard individual medley, men’s 3-meter diving event and the 200-yard freestyle relay. Stanford leads the women with 504 total points after seven events. Highlights from the day include Arizona State’s Emma Nordin won the 500-yard freestyle with the new-fastest time in the country of 4:33.74. Cal senior Abbey Weitzeil set a new Pac-12 Championship record in the 50-yard freestyle event with a time of 21.03.
Women’s 1-meter diving
• UCLA’s Ruby Neave took home a win in the 1-meter diving event with her score of 329.30, a season-best score.
• Neave trailed Stanford’s Mia Paulsen for much of the competition, however, her final round dive, a reverse 2 1/2 Somersault Tuck with a 3.00 degree of difficulty, bolstered her to the top of the leaderboard.
• Recorded a new season-best score with the winning dive.
• Arizona State’s Emma Nordin won the 500-yard freestyle with the new-fastest time in the country of 4:33.74. Nordin dominated throughout the entire event and bested the second place time by over two seconds.
• Earlier in the prelims this morning, Nordin recorded the 12th-fastest time in the country in the event (4:37.39). Her prelim time earned her the top seed in the finals and she lowered that mark by over four seconds in the finals.
• The Pac-12 now has four of the top-five-ranked swimmers heading into the NCAA Championships.
200-yard individual medley
• USC’s Lousie Hansson went length for length in the final stretch of the 200-yard individual medley and ultimately logged the winning time of 1:54.09.
• Hansson’s time is the eighth fastest in the country this year.
• Earlier this morning Hansson recorded the 15th-fastest time in the country with her time of 1:55.70 and she lowered her mark by over a second in the finals.
• Cal’s Abbey Weitzeil won the 50 free event with a time of 21.03. She had set the new Pac-12 Championship record in the event in prelims earlier today (21.09) and broke her own record in the finals.
• Weitzeil bested the second place time of 21.86 from USC’s Marta Ciesla.
Men’s 3-meter diving
• Stanford’s Conor Casey claimed the men’s 3-meter diving title with a score of 442.05.
• Casey largely improved upon his 3M prelims score of 336.30 from earlier in the day.
• Casey also won the 1-meter event at the 2020 Pac-12 Championships last night with a score of 407.35.
200-yard freestyle relay
• Cal’s relay squad of Eloise Riley, Keaton Blovad, Maddie Murphy and Izzy Ivey won the 200-yard freestyle relay to end the second day of competition at the 2020 Championships.
• The swimmers logged a time of 1:27.22 with anchor Ivey recording the fastest leg (21.43).
Women’s Team Point Totals
Through Event 7
1. Stanford, 504
2. California, 437
3. USC, 397
4. UCLA, 364
5. ASU, 338
6. Arizona, 291
7. Utah, 192
8. WSU, 161