Elijah Hicks Named To AllState AFCA Good Works Team®
NORTHBROOK, Ill. – Cal senior safety Elijah Hicks was named Wednesday to the prestigious 2020 Allstate AFCA Good Works Team® as announced by Allstate and the American Football Coaches Association (AFCA). The final team of 22 players includes 11 from the NCAA Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) and another combined 11 from the NCAA Football Championship Subdivision (FCS), Divisions II and III, and the NAIA.
A total of 149 student-athletes were nominated for the 29th edition of the team that was established in 1992 by the College Football Association to recognize extra efforts by players and student support staff off the field. AFCA became the governing body of the award in 1997 and continues to honor players who go the extra mile for those in need. Allstate became the presenting sponsor starting with the 2008 season.
"I'm thankful for this award, but like I've always said giving back is just something we do in Long Beach," Hicks said while referring to his hometown. "We don't do it for awards or recognition, we do it because there are real issues that need to be fixed. Long Beach is full of people with crazy talents, but we don't always hear about them because some people may not have a good situation or food on the table, which makes it hard for individuals to stay focused and work hard. I was fortunate enough to have people step in and help me during my difficult times, so I just try to pay it forward. We all should do that if we can."
"Elijah is a tremendous representative of our football program and university," Cal head coach Justin Wilcox said. "He has a passion for giving back and helping those who are less fortunate. Elijah has made a huge difference by doing so, and I truly believe he is just getting started. He is very deserving of this honor, and it's very satisfying that his good works are being recognized with a spot on this prestigious team."
Fans can vote for the 2020 Allstate AFCA Good Works Team captain once a day now through Nov. 22 by visiting ESPN.com/AllState. Throughout the 2020 season, fans can join the conversation using #GoodWorksTeam on their social media channels to learn more about these players and their stories.
Hicks becomes the fifth Cal student-athlete to earn a spot on an Allstate AFCA Good Works Team® and the third in as many years following the selections of Patrick Laird (2018) and Marcel Dancy (2019). Nick Forbes and Jeffrey Coprich are Cal's other two selections in back-to-back years in 2013 and 2014.
Below are notes and a pair of video features on Hicks with an extended bio available by clicking on his name.
Elijah Hicks, S, 5-11, 200, Sr., 3L, Long Beach, CA (La Mirada HS/St. John Bosco HS)
– Created his own non-profit Intercept Poverty Foundation with the primary focus of helping fight poverty especially for low-income students constrained by their finances with a website (interceptpovertyfoundation.com) that among other features includes statistics on the relationship between education and poverty rates
– Collaborated via his foundation with No Kid Hungry to raise over $60,000 in a fundraiser to financially help families affected by COVID-19 feed their children
– Currently working with Scholarship America on a proposal for a fundraiser to provide an emergency relief fund for Cal students in need of financial assistance
– Has been a consistent and regular volunteer in the food pantry at the UC Berkeley Basic Needs Center, working restocking shifts once or twice a week throughout the 2019 football season
– Volunteered for a UC Berkeley Basic Needs Center event in March of 2020 in which the organization prepared grocery bags to give away to UC Berkeley staff members in need due to COVID-19 and brought along several of his Cal football teammates to help
– Served as a guest speaker in June of 2020 at a Pac-12 Networks virtual webinar talking about his volunteer work with his Intercept Poverty Foundation and the food pantry at the UC Berkeley Basic Needs Center
– Earned Preseason All-California Region (SportsPac12), Second-Team Preseason All-Pac-12 (Athlon) and Third-Team Preseason All-Pac-12 (Phil Steele) recognition as a 2020 senior
– Has played in all 38 games possible with 30 starts and posted career totals of 113 tackles, 9.0 tackles for loss (-25 yards), 2.0 sacks (-7 yards), one interception that he returned 34 yards for a touchdown at Colorado as a 2018 sophomore, 10 pass breakups, 11 passes defended and two forced fumbles over the last three seasons since his arrival in January of 2017
– Contributed career highs of 44 tackles, 2.0 sacks (-7 yards), five pass breakups and five passes defended while making a career-high 12 starts and playing in a career-high-tying 13 contests as a 2019 junior
– Recorded career bests of 5.0 tackles for loss and -14 tackle for loss yards as well as his lone career interception in a career-high-tying 13 contests as a 2018 sophomore, while his two fumble recoveries as a 2017 freshman are a career high as are his 2.0 sacks and -7 sack yards and four pass breakups