Football Set to Visit No. 11 Oregon Saturday
GAME 3: UCLA at #11 Oregon
Venue: Autzen Stadium
Kickoff Time: 12:30 p.m., PT
Television: ESPN2 (Jason Benetti, Andre Ware, Taylor McGregor)
Radio (UCLA Sports Network from IMG College): AM 570 - Josh Lewin (play-by-play), Matt Stevens (analyst), Wayne Cook (reporter)
XM Ch. 198 / Internet 960
UCLA (1-1, 1-1) will travel this week to play at 2019 Pac-12 North champion and No. 11-ranked Oregon (2-0, 2-0) in a Pac-12 Conference matchup on Saturday, November 21 at 12:30 p.m., PT. The game will be televised by ESPN2. The Bruin IMG Radio Network will broadcast the contest, which will also be aired over SiriusXM, uclabruins.com and tunein.com and the TuneIn App.
Third-year head coach Chip Kelly was named UCLA's head football coach on Nov. 25, 2017. Kelly owns a collegiate record of 54-25 compiled in two-plus seasons at UCLA and four seasons as the head coach at the University of Oregon (2009-12). During that span in Eugene, his Duck teams captured fi rst place or a share of fi rst in the North Division of the conference (three outright conference championships 2009-11) and four BCS bowl games. Kelly guided Oregon to appearances in a National Championship Game (2010), two Rose Bowls (after 2011 and 2009 seasons) and the Fiesta Bowl following the 2012 season. Kelly was named the 2009 and 2010 Pac-10 Coach of the Year, 2010 Eddie Robinson Coach of the Year, 2010 Walter Camp Coach of the Year, 2010 Sporting News Coach of the Year, 2010 AFCA Coach of the Year Award and 2010 Associated Press Coach of the Year.
The Bruins own a 40-29 overall advantage (17-15 record in games played in Eugene) in the series against Oregon, which started in 1928. UCLA is 0-1 vs. Oregon under Coach Kelly having dropped a 42-21 decision in the last meeting between the two schools played in 2018 in Eugene. Three Bruin turnovers led to 21 Duck points in that setback. UCLA racked up a then season-high 496 total yards of offense in the contest and outgained UO which had 492. In the 2017 matchup in the Rose Bowl (Oct. 21), UCLA outscored Oregon 17-0 in the second half and went on to hand the Ducks a 3114 setback in what was the 600th win in UCLA football history. Christian Pabico caught his fi rst career touchdown pass to help stake UCLA to a 14-0 lead. Oregon tied the game at 14-all at the half on two short scoring runs setting the stage for UCLA's second half shut out. Josh Rosen threw for 266 yards and two touchdowns. The Bruins last won at Autzen Stadium on Nov. 13, 2004 (Bruins have lost last 6 meetings in Autzen) by a score of 34-26. True freshman running back Chris Markey, starting in place of an injured Maurice Jones-Drew, ran for 131 yards and made fi ve receptions for 84 yards. UCLA jumped out to a 21-10 halftime lead after a couple of Manuel White scoring runs and a 43-yard interception return by Trey Brown. After the Ducks closed to 24-20, Drew Olson hit Junior Taylor on an 83-yard pass play for a 31-20 Bruin lead late in the third quarter. UO cut the gap to 31-26 on a fourth-quarter punt return for a touchdown. Justin Medlock connected on his second 50-yard fi eld goal of the contest for the fi nal points of the day with just over two minutes left to secure the win for coach Karl Dorrell's squad.
THE WATCH LIST
• UCLA's defense surrendered 176 yards to Cal; fewest allowed by Bruin defensive unit since it gave up 122 yards at Arizona State in 2008 game.
• TE Greg Dulcich is averaging 29.4 yards per catch (1st in P-12 and 2nd in NCAA) and 103.0 receiving yards per game (23rd in NCAA and 4th in P-12) ... He is one of five Bruin receivers with multiple catches who are averaging double-digit yards per catch -- Kyle Philips-10.3, Kazmeir Allen-13.3, Charles Njoku-17.0, Mike Martinez-12.0.
• The winning team has scored at least 30 points in each of the last seven games in the series between UO and UCLA.
• UCLA's last wins over ranked teams came a year ago against No. 24 Arizona State (Oct. 26/42-32) and at No. 19 Washington State (Sept. 21/67-63)...The last time UCLA defeated a top-15 team on the road was at No. 15 Arizona State in 2014 ... The last program win over a top-15 team came against No. 11 Kansas State in the 2015 Alamo Bowl (end of 2014 season) which marked the third Bruin win against a top-15 opponent that 2014 season ... The last time UCLA was ranked by AP was in week three of the 2017 campaign (followed by a loss to Memphis).
• The last time UCLA won back-to-back games in November came in the 2014 season when it defeated Arizona, Washington and USC ... The last time it won a road game in the month of November was a 2015 win at Salt Lake City over then-No. 18 Utah.
• QB Dorian Thompson-Robinson moved to 10th on UCLA's career passing yards list with 4,511 ... Next up is Wayne Cook (9th, 4,723) ... DTR is now ninth on UCLA's career completions list with 362 ... His three TD passes moved him into eighth on UCLA's career TD list with 35 ... At Colorado, he became the first Bruin to throw for 300 and rush for at least 100 yards in same game ... He had 303 yards passing and a career-best 109 rushing yards ... It was his third-career 300 yard-plus passing game and third 400-yard total offense performance of his career.
• The UCLA defense has 17 tackles for loss in the first two games this season ... The 8.5 average per game ranks seventh in NCAA and leads the Pac-12 ... The five sacks and the nine tackles for loss against Cal were the most in one game since last year against Stanford (seven sacks, 11 TFLs).
• The Bruins forced the first turnover of 2020 in the win over Cal ... UCLA did not force a turnover at Colorado ... Under Coach Kelly, UCLA is +11 turnovers in wins and -22 turnovers in losses ... UCLA forced nine of its 14 turnovers in its 4 games won in 2019 ... The Bruins had a +3 turnover margin in wins and a -11 margin in 2019 losses.
• Dulcich caught four balls for 126 yards at Colorado, including a 52-yard TD. The last Bruin TE with a 100 receiving yards game was Devin Asiasi last season against USC (141 yds). This is the seventh straight season the Bruins have had a TE go over the century mark for receiving yards in a game (Asiasi in 2019, Caleb Wilson in 2018 and 2017, Nate Iese in 2016, Thomas Duarte in 2015 and 2014).
• RB Brittain Brown found the end zone from 31 yards out against Cal. It was his first TD run since the 2018 season vs. Temple, while at Duke.
• LB Caleb Johnson recorded four tackles, 2.5 TFLs and 1.5 sacks in win over Cal ... He began his Bruin career with five tackles at Colorado, including the only sack of the game for UCLA -- Johnson ranks 18th in NCAA in TFLs/G at 1.8.
• True freshman K RJ Lopez has recorded touchbacks on nine of his 12 kickoffs this season -- three of six at Colorado and six for six vs. Cal ... All three of true freshman P Luke Akers' kicks vs. Cal ended up inside the 20 ... he also has two 50-plus yard punts on the year.
• The Bruins outgained the Golden Bears by 264 yards (440-176) last week ... It was the largest margin of total offense/total defense difference since Nov. 7, 2015, when UCLA shut out Oregon State and outgained the Beavers 674-246 (428-yard difference).
• RB Demetric Felton rushed for 107 yards vs. Cal, his second-career 100-yard rushing game (Oregon State - Oct. 5, 2019). His 25 rushing attempts were a career high. Felton also caught a pass for the 14th game in a row. He set a Bruin school mark for RBs with 55 catches last season.
• Redshirt freshman WR Charles Njoku caught his first collegiate passes -- and the first TD of his career -- with a 27-yarder in the second quarter.
• The Bruins have scored 30+ points in seven of their last nine games.
• The 24-point margin of victory was the highest for the Bruins since a 30-point win over Cal on Oct. 13, 2018 ... UCLA shut out Cal in the second half last week - the last time UCLA shutout an opponent in one half of football was the 2018 win over Cal (first half).