Football Returns Home to Face Arizona Saturday
GAME 4: Arizona at UCLA
Venue: Spieker Field at the Rose Bowl
Kickoff Time: 5 p.m., PT
Television: FOX (Aaron Goldsmith and Brady Quinn)
Radio (UCLA Sports Network from IMG College): AM 570 - Josh Lewin (play-by-play),Matt Stevens (analyst), Wayne Cook (reporter)
Sirius Ch. 206 / XM Ch. 197 / Internet 959
UCLA (1-2, 1-2) will host Arizona (0-2, 0-2) on Spieker Field at the Rose Bowl in a Pac-12 Conference matchup on Saturday, November 28. The game will be televised by FOX. The Bruin IMG Radio Network will broadcast the contest, which will also be aired over SiriusXM, uclabruins.com and tunein.com and the TuneIn App.
The Bruins own a 25-17-2 overall advantage (12-4-1 record in games played in Pasadena) in the series against Arizona, which started in 1928. UCLA is 1-1 versus the Wildcats under Coach Kelly, having dropped a 20-17 decision in the last meeting between the two schools played in 2019 in Tucson. UA used a fourth-quarter touchdown to swing a back-and-forth game their way and earn a close decision over the Bruins who missed a chance to even the game on a late field attempt. Dorian Thompson-Robinson, who left the game in the third quarter with an injury, went 17-for-33 and threw one touchdown. Jaylen Erwin caught a career-best seven passes for 63 yards, and Kyle Philips added a then career-high six receptions.
UCLA has won the past four meetings played in the Rose Bowl, including a 31-30 victory in 2018. Joshua Kelley rushed for 136 yards and a go-ahead, 28-yard touchdown in the fourth quarter to lead the Bruins to the victory. After UCLA controlled the actionol in the first half and led by a 17-7 margin at the break, the second half saw things get interesting and featured four lead changes. Arizona claimed a 27-24 lead on an eight-play, 72-yard drive. The Bruins answered with the 28-yard touchdown run from Kelley to secure a 31-27 lead with 11:33 to play. Arizona pulled to within one point, at 31-30, after Josh Pollack connected on a 29-yard field goal with 6:28 left in the contest. Neither team scored again.
THE WATCH LIST
• Demetric Felton has matched his rushing total for all of last season in the first three games of 2020 -- 331 yards in each season.
• Felton registered a career-high total of 278 all-purpose yards at Oregon, the fifth-highest total in the nation this season and the best performance by a Pac-12 player in 2020 ... He had a career-best 167 yards rushing on a career-best 34 carries and two touchdowns. He also returned five kickoffs for 105 yards and caught a pair of passes for six yards.
• Chase Griffin made his first-career start and second-career appearance (last series vs. Cal). He finished the Oregon contest with 195 yards on 19-31 passing, including one touchdown and a pair of interceptions. He added 18 yards rushing on seven attempts. The Bruins generated 35 points in his debut, most in a game by a new Bruin starting quarterback since Brett Hundley in 2012 vs. Rice (49).
• Greg Dulcich is averaging 23.7 yards per catch (second in Pac-12 and sixth in NCAA) ... His 100-yard receiving game at Colorado marked the seventh straight season in which a Bruin tigth end has gone over the century mark in at least one game in a season.
• Seven different players have caught UCLA's season total of 8 touchdown passes. Dulcich is the only receiver with more than one.
• The UCLA defense has 27 tackles for loss in the first three games this season ... The 9.0 average per game ranks fifth in NCAA and is second in the Pac-12 ... The 10.0 tackles for loss at Oregon are the most since last year against Stanford (11 TFLs and seven sacks).
• UCLA had four sacks at Oregon and five vs. Cal ... This marks the first time the Bruins have notched four or more sacks in back-to-back games since the 2016 season (Oct. 22 vs. Utah and Nov. 3 vs. Colorado).
• UCLA has rushed for at least 200 yards as a team in seven of the last 11 games, including the last two at Oregon (267) and vs. Cal (244) and currently ranks 17th in the NCAA in rushing offense (228.7 yds/g).
• UCLA has outscored each of its first three opponents in the fourth quarter of play, surrendering only a field goal to Colorado.
• UCLA has scored at least 30 points in eight of the last 10 games, including all three contests in 2020.
• Mitchell Agude is one of two Bruin players (also Osa Odighizuwa) to have at least one TFL in each of the first three Bruin games ... he registered a season-high 3.5 TFLs vs. the Ducks and leads the team with 5.5 on the year ... he was also credited with the forced fumble which was returned for a TD at Oregon.
• The Bruins have converted 50% of their third-down opportunities this season (22/44) to rank 18th in the NCAA.
• Qwuantrezz Knight returned a Duck fumble for a touchdown to mark the first defensive score by the Bruins since the 2018 season ... Martin Andrus, Jr. recorded a safety against Stanford in the final game of 2018 ... The last Bruin defensive touchdown was recorded by Darnay Holmes (now with NY Giants) who picked off an ASU pass and returned it for a touchdown in 2018.
• Brittain Brown found the end zone from two yards out at Oregon and 31 yards out against Cal. The score versus the Golden Bears was his first touchdown run since the 2018 season vs. Temple, while at Duke.
• True freshman kicker RJ Lopez has recorded touchbacks on 11 of his 18 kickoffs this season ... True freshman punter Luke Akers is averaging 47.3 yards per kick ... He has four 50-plus yard punts on the year.
• Defensive lineman Datona Jackson had a tackle for loss at Oregon ... He tallied a career-high six stops at Colorado and added four more vs. Cal.
• Dorian Thompson-Robinson moved to 10th on UCLA's career passing yards list with 4,511 after the Cal game ... Next up is Wayne Cook (ninth, 4,723) ... DTR is now ninth on UCLA's career completions list with 362 ... His three touchdown passes moved him into eighth on UCLA's career TD list with 35 ... At Colorado, he became the first Bruin to throw for 300 and rush for at least 100 yards in same game ... He had 303 yards passing and a career-best 109 rushing yards ... It was the third-career 300-yard-plus passing game and third 400-yard total offense performance of his career.
• Defensive back Stephan Blaylock leads the Bruins in tackles this season ... He matched his career best with 11 tackles at Colorado ... Last season, he ranked 18th in NCAA in solos (5.4/g) ... He had at least six in nine of 12 games in 2019, with a high of 11 stops at USC.
• First-career starts as Bruins - at Colorado: CB Obi Eboh, S Qwuantrezz Knight, LB Caleb Johnson, LB Damian Sellers, LB Mitchell Agude, TE Greg Dulcich, OG Paul Grattan; Cal: WR Matt Sykes, RB Kazmeir Allen; at Oregon: QB Chase Griffin, OLB Choé; Bryant-Strother