Beavers Set for Matchup With Northwest
THE GAME: Oregon State will look for a 2-0 start to the 2020-21 season Friday, when it takes on Northwest at Gill Colisuem.
QUICKLY: The Beavers opened the 2020-21 season with a nonconference win over California on Wednesday ... Oregon State is looking to start 2-0 for the third-straight season ... Four Beavers scored in double-figures Wednesday vs. California ... Warith Alatishe scored 16 points in his first Oregon State game, two points short of the OSU record for a junior debut ... The Beavers out-rebounded California 43-32, with three Beaves finishing with six or more boards ... Ethan Thompson was named to the preseason All-Pac-12 Second Team for the second-straight season ... Ethan Thompson has started all 95 games in his first three years at Oregon State. With his start on Wednesday, he passed his brother Stephen Thompson Jr., Drew Eubanks and Lamar Hurd for the eighth-most games started in Oregon State history ... With his next victory, Wayne Tinkle will move into sole possession of fourth in Oregon State history with 95 ... The Beavers will play 20 Pac-12 Conference games this season, as part of the league's new scheduling protocol.
vs. NORTHWEST: Oregon State will take on Northwest for the first time in the programs' history. Northwest is the first NAIA opponent the Beavers have faced since OSU took on Northwest Christian to open the 2015-16 season. No current Oregon State players took part in that contest.
VS. CALIFORNIA: Here are some quick-hitters about the Beavers' season-opener vs. Cal:
- Warith Alatishe led the Beavers with 16 points, two short of Oregon State's record for a junior debut.
- Oregon State's junior transfers combined for 28 points and 23 rebounds in the contest. The trio who saw action (Alatishe, Andela, Calloo) went 12-for-21 from the floor.
- Beaver seniors Ethan Thompson and Zach Reichle combined to score 26 points and dish out 10 assists.
- Fourteen of the Beavers' 26 field goals featured an assist.
- Oregon State shot 44.8 percent in the game, compared to 39.7 percent for California.
THE TEAM: Here are some quick-hitters about the 2020-21 Oregon State men's basketball team:
- Oregon State is 23-0 since the start of 2017-18 when scoring 80-plus points (6-0 in 2017-18; 7-0 in 2018-19; 10-0 in 2019-20).
- In seven seasons under Wayne Tinkle, Oregon State is 71-17 (14-3 last season) when leading at halftime and 79-9 (15-2 last season) when leading with five minutes to play.
- Dashawn Davis, a 6-foot-3, 180-pound guard from the Bronx, N.Y., signed a National Letter of Intent to join the program next season. He is the No. 7 rated Junior College prospect in the nation according to 247 Sports, and will join OSU from Trinity Valley Community College.
- Oregon State is slated as the host institution for the First and Second Rounds of the NCAA Tournament in 2022 and 2026 at Moda Center.