Powerplay Finishes 2020 Strong in 3-2 Win vs. #18 Buckeyes
COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Sun Devil Hockey wrapped up a whirlwind of a road trip with a 3-2 win against No. 18 Ohio State on Friday night at Value City Arena.
The Sun Devils (4-6-2) left the first period trailing 1-0 but rallied back in the second with two powerplay goals from freshman forward Matthew Kopperud and sophomore defenseman Jack Judson sandwiched around a goal from senior defenseman Jacob Wilson to earn the win. Kopperud enters the winter break solely leading the country in goals scored (7) and points (13).
"We've had some really big moments as we've built this thing and beat really, really good teams but that win was probably the most gratifying since we've gone Division I," said head coach Greg Powers. "To come back from three down last night and grab a third period lead then earn a tie, and then come back tonight and beat them."
The Sun Devils return to Big Ten play after the new year on Jan. 3 to take on No. 1 Minnesota for the first time this season.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Ohio State again came out swinging in game two, scoring the game's first goal just under four minutes into the game on the powerplay. Layton Ahac fired a one-timer from above the right circle that beat DeBrouwer through traffic.
- Halfway through the second period, ASU responded with a powerplay tally of their own, as Kopperud waited just long enough before wristing a shot past Nappier to tie the game at one.
- The Buckeyes answered right back less than a minute later, as Matt Cassidy netted his first goal of the season to retake the lead.
- Just over three minutes after OSU retook the lead, Jacob Wilson fired a shot on net from below the right circle that went off a skate and past Nappier to tie the game at two.
- After Gustaf Westlund took a five-minute major and game misconduct late in the middle frame, the Sun Devils went to the powerplay to end the second period and came away with what would be the game-winning goal. Jack Judson fired a one-timer off a cross-ice pass from Demetrios Koumontzis, and buried it for the second ASU powerplay goal of the game.
- This was the first time this season the Sun Devils scored multiple power-play goals, going 2-for-3 after being 3-for-36 in the last 11 games. The last time ASU had multiple goals on the man advantage was Feb. 21 vs. Wisconsin.
- Freshman forward Matthew Kopperud got back in the goal column with his seventh of the season, and now solely leads the country in goals scored and points (13).
- Senior defenseman and co-captain Jacob Wilson scored his first goal of the season, and first since Dec. 14, 2019 against Michigan State.
- Sophomore d-man Jack Judson also recorded his first goal of the season with the eventual game-winner.
- Junior netminder Evan DeBrouwer made 37 saves on 39 shots, with one of the two goals coming on the Buckeye powerplay.