Arizona Dominates in Double Header to Start Season
TUCSON, Ariz. - Those were the first words out of head coach Clancy Shield's mouth after the double header to open the 2021 season were, "I am excited to be back. It feels like just yesterday we were in California when our season ended and we've been able to come back and count every day as a blessing," he continued with a smile.
Arizona took every opportunity to take advantage of these blessings, going 7-0 and 6-1 in their games against GCU. Four Wildcats got their first spring wins in Lanelle Robson Tennis Center including freshmen Herman Hoyeraal, No. 105 Gustaf Strom, Jett Middleton, and junior Jared Horwood. "It was a great team win," Horwood smiled after his first win in LaNelle Robson, "I got my first doubles and singles win but the team really performed today." Each impressed as the Wildcats put on a show to open their season. Senior Alejandro Reguant led the team with 2 singles wins and 2 doubles wins, followed by Middleton with 1 in singles and 2 in doubles.
Reguant pulled closer to several records on the afternoon and is now one behind Roger Matalonga for most singles wins in program history, while being two behind Andres Carrasco for most spring singles wins ever. This accomplishment comes with him being only 16th in most matches played in the spring. "The guys, they all played at a high level, especially mentally," Reguant commented after the team's win.
The Wildcats will go on the road to Austin this weekend to play the defending NCAA champions in The University of Texas on Friday at 1 pm MST.
Match No. 1
1. Ziverts/Middleton (ARIZ) def. Lang/Novak (GCU) 6-1
2. Hassey/Reguant (ARIZ) def. Cvitanovic/Grant (GCU) 6-0
3. Malbasic/Strom (ARIZ) def. Boris-Moller/Van Zeggelaar (GCU) 6-4
Order of finish: 2, 1, 3
1. No. 50 Jonas Ziverts (ARIZ) def. Valentin Lang (GCU) 6-2, 6-3
2. Alejandro Reguant (ARIZ) def. Justin Cvitanovic (GCU) 6-2, 6-0
3. No. 105 Gustaf Strom (ARIZ) def. Jiri Novak (GCU) 6-2, 6-1
4. No. 54 Filip Malbasic (ARIZ) def. Freddie Grant (GCU) 6-3, 7-5
5. Carlos Hassey (ARIZ) def. Wolmar Borris-Moller (GCU) 6-3, 6-3
6. Herman Hoyeraal (ARIZ) def. Loic Van Zeggelaar (GCU) 6-2, 7-5
Order of finish: 3, 2, 6, 5, 1, 4
Match No. 2
1. Karpovets/Middleton (ARIZ) def. Da Silva/De Samucewicz (GCU) 6-2
2. Lagaev/Horwood (ARIZ) def. Cvitanovic/Kirsch (GCU) 6-2
3. Reguant/Olsen (ARIZ) def. Anderson/Boleratzky (GCU) 6-2
Order of finish: 2, 1, 3
1. Alejandro Reguant (ARIZ) def. Jonathan Da Silva (GCU) 6-2, 6-0
2. Nick Lagaev (ARIZ) def. Justin Cvitanovic (GCU) 6-0, 6-3
3. Jett Middleton (ARIZ) def. Stanislas De Samucewicz (GCU) 6-3, 6-0
4. Igor Karpovets (ARIZ) def. Maxim Kirsch (GCU) 6-3, 6-2
5. Jared Horwood (ARIZ) def. Wyatt Anderson (GCU) 6-3, 6-1
6. Oliver Boleratzky (GCU) def. Conner Olsen (ARIZ) 7-5, 6-2
Order of finish: 4, 5, 1, 3, 2, 6