Pac-12 announces first women's gymnastics weekly honors of 2021 season
SAN FRANCISCO — The Pac-12 Conference office announced today its first women’s gymnastics weekly honors for the 2021 season. Gymnast of the Week has been selected every week of the season since 2001. The Specialist of the Week award was added in 2008, the Freshman/Newcomer of the Week honor kicked off in 2013 and the weekly Coaches’ Choice began in 2020.
Gymnast of the Week: Maile O’Keefe, So., Utah (Las Vegas, NV)
- In then-No. 3 Utah’s showdown with then-No. 2 Oklahoma, the 2020 First-Team All-Pac-12 selection captured the beam and all-around titles.
- Leading score in the all-around event (39.550) was a career high.
- Kicked off season strong with a 39.375 all-around performance and a 9.925 beam score at the Rio Tinto Best of Utah competition in only another match so far in 2021.
- First-time Women’s Gymnast of the Week honoree; two-time Pac-12 Freshman of the Week in 2020.
Specialist of the Week: Sydney Soloski, Sr., Utah, (Calgary, Alberta, Canada)
- 2020 All-Pac-12 honoree in the floor event earned a share of the floor win against then-No. 2 Oklahoma, posting a score of 9.90 for her first win of the season (eighth overall).
- One of five All-Americans from the Red Rocks’ conference-title season in 2020 (second-team honors in the floor event).
- One of three seniors on Utah’s roster this season; 2021 marks the first time the Utes have been picked to finish first in the conference preseason coaches poll since 2016.
Freshman/Newcomer of the Week: Sarah Clark, Fr., Arizona State (Huntington Beach, Calif.)
- Helped lead then-No. 21 Arizona State to an upset over then-No. 10 BYU; clinched the Sun Devils win with a 9.80 floor score. Arizona State now ranks No. 15 in the WCGA rankings.
- Posted a 9.90 on the beam, the program’s highest mark for a freshman since 2008.
- Also added a 9.75 score on the bars in her second collegiate match.
- Recorded a team-high 9.85 bars score in her collegiate debut against then-No. 2 Oklahoma.
Coaches Choice: Jaedyn Rucker, So., Utah (Mesa, Ariz.)
- Complemented her collegiate debut at the Rio Tinto Best of Utah competition with a 9.825 score on the vault against then-No. 2 Oklahoma, tying teammate Lucy Stanhope for second best on the team behind Maile O’Keefe.
- Also added a 9.85 floor score in a tightly-contested floor battle between the Red Rocks and Sooners.
- Missed all of 2020 due to a knee injury; earned athletic director’s honor roll as a freshman in 2020.
Gymnast of the Week: Hannah Scharf, ASU
Specialist of the Week: Anaya Smith, ASU
Freshman/Newcomer of the Week: Jaylene Gilstrap, Utah
Coaches Choice: Megan Thompson, ASU
|Gymnast of the Week||Specialist of the Week||Freshman of the Week||Coaches' Choice|
|Jan. 18||Maile O'Keefe, Utah||Sydney Soloski, Utah||Sarah Clark, Arizona State||Jaedyn Rucker, Utah|